Typeof undefined objects

justsomeguy

I've got an issue where I'm trying to determine whether or not an object has been defined. I have the name of the object as a string. I can test for the type of the object using typeof and eval. If I have the object cmi.interactions defined, this will say "object":alert(typeof(eval("cmi.interactions")));If I am testing for a child object that I know is undefined, this will correctly return "undefined":alert(typeof(eval("cmi.interactions._0")));This says "undefined", which is good, that's what I want. That object is in fact undefined. However, when I try this:alert(typeof(eval("cmi.interactions._0.type")));That is an error, with the familiar message:message: Statement on line 1: Could not convert undefined or null to objectSo, it's fine when only the "final" object is not defined, but when the "final" object has a parent object that is also not defined (in this case _0), it's an error.Is there a way to test for this without having to break apart the string and test each object individually?

It would incur some overhead, but if parsing the string is out of the question, then you could try putting the code in a try/catch block.

Yeah, I just ended up parsing the string. It seems to work fine.

chunks = el.split(".");	  el_defined = true;	  i = 0;	  while (el_defined && i < chunks.length)	  {		obj_str = "";		for (j = 0; j <= i; j++)		{		  if (obj_str != "")			obj_str += ".";		  obj_str += chunks[j];		}		if (typeof(eval(obj_str)) == "undefined")		  el_defined = false;		i++;	  }

Archived