<li> without bullet symbol showing?

htmlnewbie23

HiI am coding in html 4.01 Transitional//EN but would like the resulting code to be compatible/acceptable to xhtml. I am not yet a user of CSS, so this is plain html code.I use <ul> a lot in my pages. When I use <ul> and then validate, W3 validation shows me errors because I do not also use <li> as well. But I do not use <li> because it causes a bullet sign to appear in the browser. My use of <ul> is to cause a text indent at that area. Is there a way to also use the required <li> (to satisfy W3 and remove its errors) without the <li> adding a bullet symbol whenever I use it? I just want it for its indenting effect, but without a small square or circle appearing before each paragraph or new line.Thanks.

you can suppress the bullet this way, or your could use the dd/dl syntax. But I agree with 'justsomeguy'. Investigate the CSS first-line attributes for your situationBoth these will appear the same

<ul style="list-style-type:none">		<li>li indent</li>	</ul>	<dl>		<dd>dd indent</dd>	</dl>

you can suppress the bullet this way, or your could use the dd/dl syntax. But I agree with 'justsomeguy'. Investigate the CSS first-line attributes for your situationBoth these will appear the same
<ul style="list-style-type:none">		<li>li indent</li>	</ul>	<dl>		<dd>dd indent</dd>	</dl>

Thank you both. I realize I should learn CSS but just do not have the time to do it right now.Incidentally, it is not the first line that I want indented, but all the text till the next <li> In other words, it is entire sections of the text within a page (everything between <li> and </li> that I want indented. How would CSS do that? (you do not have to answer, because I know I should just go and learn CSS ......!)Thanks for the help. I will try it.

Archived