"Position: fixed" and IE 6

rockymoran

This is my first post here – hello!I’ve been using the w3 guide to learn css and have had some success.However, I’ve come across a problem due to IE’s (6 and below – I haven’t checked 7) inability to properly render the “position: fixed” tag.I have placed a link on my site that takes you to the top of the page and I’d like it to only show up once you’ve left the “main” part of the page – and I’d like it to be static so that you can always quickly return to the top.I’ve accomplished this in FF by simply placing the link in a “position: fixed” div that is z-indexed behind the logo and menu images (which are placed absolutely on the page).When you scroll down, those images are scrolled off the page and reveal the “top of the page” button hidden behind them.Here is an example - http://catalog.sa.ucsb.edu/test-folder/catalog/anth.htm (scroll down a bit and Firefox should render the link properly, while IE will not).Unfortunately this doesn’t work in IE and I’m at a loss as to how to fix it.Any insight – or suggestions on other ways to accomplish this?If you’d like the code I can post it – however, I’m pretty sure the problem lies in IE 6 and not the CSS…Thanks!

Archived