<ul> error

htmlnewbie23

I am sorry to bother the group, but I have spent hours trying everything I can think of but cannot resolve why the W3 validator does not like my <ul> placements. I've cleaned the page of 161 errors ! (mostly nesting errors) but these last 2 have me stomped. I pasted them into a separate html page and tested it separately (in case I had some unclosed tags) but get the same errors. I've added <li>, <br>, etc., nothing works. Why does the validator say: 1. Line 28 column 41: document type does not allow element "UL" here; missing one of "APPLET", "OBJECT", "MAP", "IFRAME", "BUTTON" start-tag.2. Line 38 column 41: document type does not allow element "UL" here; missing one of "APPLET", "OBJECT", "MAP", "IFRAME", "BUTTON" start-tag.This is the part of the code it does not like.

<!DOCTYPE HTML PUBLIC "-//W3C//DTD HTML 4.01 Transitional//EN"><html><head><meta http-equiv="content-type" content="text/html; charset=ISO-8859-1">      <title>         testing      </title>   </head>   <body bgcolor="#ffffff" text="#000000" link="#0000ff" vlink="#800080" alink="#ff0000">      			<br>			<a href="http://sites.huji.ac.il/archives/" target="new">			 	Name of place			</a>			.  text....						<br>					<ul style="list-style-type:none">						<li>							<i>								text ....								<br>								ONE								<br>									<ul style="list-style-type:none">										<li>										text ....										<br>										text										</li>									</ul>																		TWO									<br>									<ul style="list-style-type:none">										<li>										text										<br>										text										<br>										text										</li>									</ul>																									</i>					</ul>												<br>				The 				<B>					text ....				</B>				text ....				<a href="http://www.library.ualberta.ca/" target="new">					 link ....				</a>				. 				<BR>				<ul style="list-style-type:none">					<li>					<i>						text ....					</i>					</li>				</ul>										<br>			<b>				text ....			</b>			, 			<br>   </body></html>

What DTD does the validator indicate you are using?
I am not sure what DTD means. Here is what the validator has at the top of the page:Fri Jul 20 13:29:40 2007Server: Microsoft-IIS/5.0Size: 1483Content-Type: text/htmlEncoding: iso-8859-1 (detect automatically)Doctype: HTML 4.01 Transitional (detect automatically)Does this help?

Yes it helped.The problem is your <i> element in your first <ul> and then is closed at the end. You should do this: <li><i>text</i></li> for each instead. I validated and no more errors.

Yes it helped.The problem is your <i> element in your first <ul> and then is closed at the end. You should do this: <li><i>text</i></li> for each instead. I validated and no more errors.
Thank you so much. You have no idea how many different things I tried before asking. I was ready to tear my hair out - not that I have that many to spare <grin>.Thanks again. I'm learning!

Archived