mysql inserts \ when user types a ' How can I stop this?

music_lp90

Hi, I think I may have seen topics on here about this before, but I can't seem to find them. I have a text box in a form that sends the text to mysql. My problem is when I submit the form to the mysql database, it puts a back-slash before any quotation marks that I typed in. How can I stop this.For example, if I type we're, it would write it like this we\'re.Here's the upload code.

<?php // set time zone to easternputenv("TZ=US/Eastern");// set date variable$date = date("m/d/y");$dbh=mysql_connect ("localhost", "user", "password") or die ('I cannot connect to the database because: ' . mysql_error());mysql_select_db ("dbname");$news1 = $_POST['news1']; $news2 = $_POST['news2']; $news3 = $_POST['news3']; if ($news1 !== "")  mysql_query("INSERT INTO news (statement, date) VALUES ('$news1', '$date')");if ($news2 !== "")  mysql_query("INSERT INTO news (statement, date) VALUES ('$news2)', '$date')");if ($news3 !== "")  mysql_query("INSERT INTO news (statement, date) VALUES ('$news3', '$date')");if ($news1 == "" && $news2 == "" && $news3 == "")  echo "No entries made";?> <?php $query = mysql_query('SELECT * FROM `news`'); while ($results = mysql_fetch_array($query)){ echo $results['id'] ." " . $results['date']." " . $results['statement'] . '<br />'; } ?> 

Thanks for your help!

That's not MySQL, it's PHP. You can check if magic quotes are on and remove the slashes if so.

$news1 = $_POST['news1']; $news2 = $_POST['news2']; $news3 = $_POST['news3']; if (get_magic_quotes_gpc()){  $news1 = stripslashes($news1);  $news2 = stripslashes($news2);  $news3 = stripslashes($news3);}

Generally, you dont want to get rid of the slashes unless you're displaying the data. The slashes helps against SQL injection(the most common form of hacking in database using systems. Let's say on another page you're dispaying the data, you just go$sql = "SELECT * FROM news";$ans = mysql_query($sql,$con) or die(mysql_error());//sql and query;while($row = mysql_fetch_assoc($ans)){ $row['news'] = stripslashes($row['news']); //Voila, extra slashes are gone.}

If its no longer adding them in the db, you should take an extra step in your insertion code.$news1 = (get_magic_quotes_gpc()) ? $_POST['news1'] : mysql_real_escape_string($_POST['news1'];Repeat that for all the new variables. Basically this checks if magic quotes is on, if so, then the string is automatically escaped, if not, then it uses mysql_real_escape_string to escape things like quotation marks and so on(also, backslashes i believe if they were actually inputted). Do a test on this, to see if there are slashes in the database value that is displayed through another page. If it is, add the line of code given to you before, if not, then ignore it.

Archived