does google not like divs now?

real_illusions

i've heard that google are thinking about banning the div tag, as it can be used for spamming techniques. And any websites that use the div tag alot are likely to lose rankings.If so, then if divs and css are the way forward in website design, and tables are on the way out and are deemed as not as efficient or modern, then what do we build websites with? magic? Pure xml and css and maybe some spam (the meat, not the technique, from monty python, for the irony more than anything else) to go with it?

i've heard that google are thinking about banning the div tag, as it can be used for spamming techniques.
lol. thats absolute rubbish. anything you can do to spam with a div, like say hidden content you can also do with a table

Where did you hear that? If Google did that they would suddenly notice their popularity drop. A lot. I wouldn't use a search engine that discriminates against 95% of sites out there.
heard it from someone who was giving an seo talk to my boss about his companies website. she seemed to know quite a bit (i knew pretty much everything she said) but that thing really surprised me.i suppose you can use anything for hidden content, javascript, php, css..suppose a search engine banned them..they wouldn't have any sites at all to search.:)

Well you'd better inform your boss otherwise, or else your company website may undergo some major and unnecessary changes! :)

heard it from someone who was giving an seo talk to my boss about his companies website.
she was probably talking about people hidding content which will get you penalised by google. it makes no difference wheter you use divs or not eg. <p style="display:none;"> and the idea of google penalising people for using divs is hilarious.i recently had to go to an seo and accesibilty conference. most of the people were marketing types who really dont have a clue what their on about most of the timealso, google have said that they will only penalise sites who hide large amounts of content so it is still ok to use show/hide javascript and image replacement techniques on your sites

Just adding the fact that you could totally side step it by doing this:

<style>span { display: block; }</style><span>This looks like a div.</span>

I agree with ste, total rubbish.

yeah..i wasn't convinced when she said divs..because a whole load of things can be done to hide content.not bothered about telling my boss about unesessessseary changes...i doubt they'll listen to me anyway :)

Archived