GPS Coordinate Search for Treasure Sites

Bebopgeo

I'm making a website that is for logging Treasure sites, and each site has it own GPS coordinate. Like Site#1 has N34'35.3456 W112'45.2345 coordinate and Site#2 has N35'37.3976 W112'44.2265 coordinate and Site#3 has N33'46.3926 W112'49.2855 coordinate. What I need to do is to make a search for sites, by GPS coordinate, that will show up on a list page, that will list all the sites in a radius of 100 miles or so from the entered coordinate, and will list them from the top being the close to the entered coordinate and getting further away from the entered coordinate at the bottom of the list. I have all my sites in a database. So any Ideas? PS. I really really like the way that Geocaching.com has there GPS coordinate search.

You're looking at some seriously fun math. Coordinate system bearing and range calculations are fun stuff. You can find the algorithms to do that online.http://www.google.com/search?client=opera&...-8&oe=utf-8If you also calculate the bearing in addition to the range then you can tell them what direction and how far a point is from another point.Also, I'm getting ready to go camping this weekend around N34 52'40" W111 42'02", got anything for me around there?

Here are some Lost Treasure storys from around there. Herman Wolf, an indian trading post operator buried an estimated $250'000 in gold near the little colorado river north west of Leupp. And South west of Flagstaff the "George Casner Treasure" of five dutch ovens filled with gold coins is buried in Sycamore Canyon below Casner mountain. He was also known to bore holes in trees to hide his gold in, the holes were patched and bark grew over the holes. There are more Lost Treasure storys for Arizona. There is a cache site 363ft North of that coordinate and one about a mile West of there. Go to http://www.geocaching.com/seek/nearest.aspx and find more cache sites for that spot. And thinks for the info.

Archived