How do I proceed further from here???

aamberker

You don't need to convert anything currently in gb.html into PHP to make it gb.php, you just change your extension. What you need to do is copy the backend.php code into gb.php where you want the text to appear, and modify it so that is does what you want it to do. I have a challenge for you :) try to do it all by yourself.
Heyyy Synook... WoW!!!... WHooooopppiiieeee!!!!!... I think I got your point :) ... WOW!!!.. hummmm... But where exactly should I need to place the backend.php code into my gb.php??? :) Please help... Hey dude, see my Abstract Art stuffs at www.mirroremage.com :blink:

What Jhect is saying is that if you aren't allowed to use a real database like MySQL, you will need to basically make your own database. You need somewhere to store all of the guestbook information, that's what the database would be used for. To do that yourself, you will have to think up a way to store all of the guestbook information in one or more files. You can either think up your own file structure, or you can use a format like XML to store all the data. PHP has XML functions that you can use to read and write XML data, but which XML functions you can use depends on which version of PHP you have available on the server.

What Jhect is saying is that if you aren't allowed to use a real database like MySQL, you will need to basically make your own database. You need somewhere to store all of the guestbook information, that's what the database would be used for. To do that yourself, you will have to think up a way to store all of the guestbook information in one or more files. You can either think up your own file structure, or you can use a format like XML to store all the data. PHP has XML functions that you can use to read and write XML data, but which XML functions you can use depends on which version of PHP you have available on the server.
Hi justsomeguy,Oh!!!... I think I got it now... But I understand that I can always use files instead of databases BUT NO IDEA how to incorporate it... whewww!!!!..... Perhaps it would be just nice if anybody could meet-up on Chat [Yahoo Messenger, Skype, Google Talk] and thus it would be indeed easier. What do you think???

You will probably want to use XML to store your guestbook entries. Your XML file could be formatted like this:

<?xml version="1.0" encoding="ISO-8859-1"?><guestbook>  <entry>	<from>Joe</from>	<date>8/23/07</date>	<subject>Test message</subject>	<message>This is a guestbook entry</message>  </entry>  <entry>	<from>Bob</from>	<date>8/22/07</date>	<subject>Another message</subject>	<message>This is another guestbook entry</message>  </entry></guestbook>

You can see the XML tutorial here to understand how XML is set up:http://www.w3schools.com/xml/default.aspIf you have PHP5 available, then you can use the SimpleXML functions to read and write the XML file:http://www.php.net/manual/en/ref.simplexml.phpI know you talk about how confusing this stuff is, and it can be a little confusing, but all you need to do is read through it until you understand it. If you don't understand something about it, ask about what you don't understand or do a search for it. There is a lot of information out there to help people learn how to program. That's what this forum is here for, to help people learn how to program. Unless you have a learning disability there's no reason why you wouldn't be able to learn this stuff, everyone else here is learning also. But it sounds more like you just don't want to learn how to do it. If that's the case this might not be the best place to ask, there might be some people here willing to do work for free but I wouldn't count on it.

Archived