simple and about opinion

user4fun

Depends. What sitemaps are you talking about? There are a few standard formats for them, and you could always easily define your own.ASP.NET has it's own format for sitemaps, which I kind'a like, but there are some things I would change about it. Google has their sitemap protocol, which though named "protocol" is actually an XML file. It's simpler to read and write then the ASP.NET file, but is a lot less... useful. It's hard to use it as anything other then to feed Google with it, as it misses hierarchy.You could also use RDF (along with Dublin Core), which is practically THE standard for such things, but writing it takes some time, and making it generate itself automatically depending on folder structure may be even more of a challenge.If you ask me, the ideal solution is probably to generate XHTML sitemap with unordered list as the root, and just copy that to the page. For search engines like Google, transforming this into the sitemap protocol shouldn't be much of a challenge. If you need to add more metadata about each page, then RDF is the way to go.

Archived