background image and color

lillizzierae

hi. what i'm doing on my site is having a background image centered inside the container div and have a black background to fill in the surrounding white space that the background image doesn't fill. does that make sense? i've done it before but for some reason it's just going over my head. i have a container with three divs inside of it (which the id's are: header, body and footer). everything is external css.

sure no problem. hopefully this works cause i've never stuck code into a forum. so if it doesn't work tell me how to do it. :)

css {	font-family: "Times New Roman", Times, serif;	font-size: 12px;	color: #FFFFFF;	background-color: #000000;	background-repeat: no-repeat;	background-position: center top;	margin: 0px;	height: 1000px;	width: 800px;}#header {	position:absolute;	left:175px;	top:539px}#body {	position:absolute;	left:147px;	top:677px;	text-align: left;	float: left;	height: 130px;	width: 650px;}#left_content {	background-color: #000000;	/*background-image: url(images/blackback.gif);*/	text-align: left;	float: left;	height: 130px;	width: 300px;	padding: 10px;	border-color: #000000;	border: 2px solid;}#right_content {	text-align: left;	float: right;	height: 200px;	width: 246px;	padding: 10px;	border-color: #000000;	border: 2px dotted;}#footer {	margin-top: 10px;	margin-bottom: 10px;	position:absolute;	left:78px;	top:987px}#container {	font-family: "Times New Roman", Times, serif;	font-size: 14px;	margin-right: 70px;	margin-left: 60px;	padding: 3px;	background-repeat: no-repeat;	background-position: center top;	background-image: url(images/nichols_back.png);	height: 1000px;	width: 800px;	background-color: #000000;}

I'm not sure which part you want to have the image and black background but here's the code.#someid {background: url('images/someimage.jpg') no-repeat center #000000;}not exactly 100% sure about the center if it'll center it in the middle of you're div if not maybe add middle after center.

Archived