Email Sniffers

Obi1-Cannabis

I need to put a simple page online whith 'in contruction' or something simillar and the email of the client. So what i need to know (not just for this particular case) is. what's the best way to avoid Email Sniffers from getting that email and start filling th email boxes with spam?Big Up

do something like this

<span id="email">address {at} yourdomain {dot} com</span><script>  var email = document.getElementById("email");  email.innerHTML = email.innerHTML.replace("{at}","@").replace("{dot}",".");</script>

So, what's preventing the creators of the email sniffing bots from looking for "{at}" and "{dot}" and replacing them with "@" and "."?Another solution I've seen is to use entities for the characters. @ is & #64; and . is & #46; So, someone& #64;somewhere& #46;com. But then, again, what's stopping the bot makers from looking for "& #64;" and replacing it with "@"?EDIT: the forum likes to convert the entities to the characters so nevermind the spaces between the & and the #.

The best way to do a replacement like that is to use some random string for the @ and the dot instead of something that someone writing a script might look for, and then do the replacement like aspnetguy has. But, someone could also write a script that would evaluate the Javascript and find it that way also. You could also have PHP write the address into an image, but someone could just make a script to read the image and identify the characters in it. The only way to not have an email address harvested is to not post the email address, you would need to use a feedback form that submits to a page that sends the email automatically.

Archived