importing backup files - problem

real_illusions

Hi,I have a .BAK file of a database from a client, but i cant import it into a free database space i have on my host. Doing it via phpMyAdmin, i get ths - #1064 - You have an error in your SQL syntax. Check the manual that corresponds to your MySQL server version for the right syntax to use near 'TAPE' at line 1 Any ideas on how to get it working? The error output it gives is just a bunch of random of letters and numbers and goes on and on and on and on and on etc etc...

It might be an incompatibility with the version of phpMyAdmin that did the exporting and the new one. You did export this through phpMyAdmin right?You would need to open the file in a text editor and do a search for "tape", see where it shows up in the SQL code.

Not sure how it was backed upTape appears right at the top at the beginning of the file in notepad. With "Microsoft SQL Server" written near it. So i'm guessing it was backed up with a microsoft server and therefore it isn't compatitable with myphpadmin??

Chances are there are some SQL Server-specific things that MySQL won't understand. You'll have to keep trying to import it and deal with SQL errors as they come up, unless you can find a utility to export from SQL Server to MySQL. But you'll probably just have to try to import it, fix the error that it shows, and then try to import again until it works.

hmmm..ok..What do i need to edit? Or is that one of those questions which has about 10 kazillion different answers depending on about the same amount of scenarios?Spoke to the guy who made the backup and he hasnt got a clue on why it doesn't work..

You'll need to change whatever is causing the error. Each time you get an error you need to look in the SQL code where it is saying the error is, figure out why MySQL doesn't like it, and fix it. That's about all I can say at this point. If the SQL code creates a bunch of tables or inserts a bunch of records you will want to reset everything if you get an error, so you would want to delete the tables or records it created before running it again.

i dont think i know enough about sql to do that.I will ask to see if i can get ahold of the actual database rather than the backup file, which i believe is what the .bak file is. Then find a converter to make it compatible with mysql and then upload.Thanks for the help anyway.:)

Archived