Repeated/Alternate Table Header, Page numbering and Logo

Guest Nikiria

Hi,I'm a beginner-intermediate HTML/CSS designer and I am working right now on a project that stretches what I know so far in the area. The three things I am looking at implement, or even trying to determine the feasibility of, are the following:1) Inserting a graphic logo that will appear at the top left corner of the page and will be repeated on every page when printed.2) Creating a table header for a table that spans multiple pages and that will be repeated on each of those pages. Note, that I have tried a (here simplified):

<table><thead>   <tr>       <th>Col1</th>       <th>Col2</th>       <th>Col3</th>    </tr></thead>...

This works well in Firefox, but not at all in IE. I use IE 7 and this project requires perfect functionality in IE. I do not need any other browser compatibility.2.) Not sure about it, but is it possible to generate an alternate table header to use on pages 2+? Example: Page 1 - Header says "Table 1 col 1 | col 2 | col 3"Page 2 onward - Header says "Table 1 (continued from previous page)col 1 | col 2 | col 3"Finally 3) Is there a way to determine the style and type of numbering from inside the HTML without using the browser's page setup?Any help on the above would be greatly appreciated. Any information on whether any of this is even feasible would be great.Niki

HTML wasn't designed to be a format for printing, so there's not a lot of printer support. For things like a table header that appears on every printed page, you are going to need to duplicate that header yourself by determining where one page ends and the next begins. The logo you might be able to do using CSS, but an entire header row in a table would need to be duplicated in the code. When I set something like this up I experimented around with tables until I determined the pixel size that I needed to make the table so that the table took up exactly one page, and then I just set up each page in its own table. CSS has tried to retrofit some support for printers into web pages, but it doesn't cover everything that someone might want to do. It looks like the w3schools site is down right now, so try this page:http://www.dreamweaver-templates.org/css-resources.htmScroll down to find "Print" under "Media types" for some resources.

Archived