Needs Advice

Spinman

Hello All,I'm an amateur web-developer and am well versed in html, css and such. However I have a dilemna that I need a bit of advice/help with. A club I'm part of has asked me to build them a website for a workshop event they are hosting. I can do just about everything but the registration page. I need a way to submit the completed registration and have it be added as a row in an excel table that will be updated and emailed out once a day. Can anyone help with this? I have no idea what to do.Spinman

Guest FirefoxRocks

I don't think you can add the record in an Excel table but you can add it to a MySQL/MSSQL database and then export it into a table suitable for Excel I think.But as for registration, check out some Google links on these terms: php registration, php login, php cookies, php session, storing user data in MySQLThose should contain some really good info that should help you. Good luck. :)

Conceptually, your task is pretty simply:

• a spreadsheet is nothing more than a csv text file (comma delimited text) but if you have any open text the user can submit (i.e. a comments area) where they might enter a comma in their post, then you will have to specify tab delimited - either way, start with notepad, create your first "record" in the file with the field headers call it registration.tab and upload it to your server
  • use a server side scripting language to append this file when someone clicks the submit button - make sure registration.tab is not write protected.
  • create a separate file called registration-notification.xxx (xxx = php, asp, or cfm depending on the scripting language you prefer)
  • code this page to send the email to your desired recipients attaching the registration.tab file that is on your server and is update as stated above.
  • go to your control panel on your hosting account and look for a scheduled task function - if you lack one then you will have to change hosts, request it specifically from your current host, or maybe find someone who has the feature and ask them to set one up to run your web page using an absolute link: http://www.yourdomain.com/tasks/registrati...otification.cfm
  • check your email and verify the tab file and you are all set.

This is very doable and on a scale of 1 to 5, I'd say its a 3 in difficulty.Good Luck.

Uhm, I understood up until you said create the first "record" in the file with the field headers call it registration.tabI know that these questions may seem ... uneducated and that's because up until now I could get by with using html and css in my webdesign. I haven't had to learn the other languages and now I'm having to give myself a crash-course in them and have no idea really where to begin to simply get this job done.Not sure what I was asking in this post but thanks for listening to my little rant, and thank you for your prompt replies I'm beginning the coding of this page tommorrow and hope to have it up by Saturday evening somehow in some shape or form.

Archived