W3Schools site navigation

AdamM

Hi. I'm really new to web development so this may be a really dumb question or involve something I'm unaware of but; how does the navigation on the W3Shools site work? I like the way the navigation links just change the content in the center table (i believe it's a table) and doesn't reload the whole page. Can anyone explain to me how that type if thing works? I've been looking all over for these forums and trying to google some info on this type of thing but have come up empty handed. Any help would be greatSorry if this is really low brow, I'm really new to this

Guest FirefoxRocks

Actually the navigation links actually do reload the entire page. You must have a really, really fact Internet connection to not see that or a huge cache.If you want to make it so that links change an area of a page without reloading, there are 2 ways that I know of:Frames:You can use frames to set up your pages. But I really do not recommend this. This is because of security/printing problems, and frames usually don't look that attractive anyways.JavaScript/AJAX:It is a bit harder, but it will work in most browsers and it is quite popular now.It's your choice, but I don't know how to do AJAX so don't ask me. :)

Oh, thanks that was helpful! That's odd that i don't notice the reload of the page. I do notice if i'm at the main page and go to one of the sections, like HTML or CSS, but from there when you go to a different section/tutorial, it seems that only the center content loads. But I'll take your word for it that the whole page is reloading. It makes sense seeing as how i had such a hard time trying to duplicate what i was seeing.

Archived