Pulling Radio Buttons, Select Box and Submit Button Together

Diegar

Hello,I am trying to create an admin page with a form for editing, warning, or deleting members, all in one. I apologize in advance for dumping a large spot of code:

<form name="users" action="userActions.php" method="POST">  <table width="250" border="0" cellspacing="0" cellpadding="3">	<tr bgcolor="#000033"> 	  <td height="30" colspan="3"> 		<div align="center"><font face="Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="4"><b><font color="#FFFFFF">Edit/Delete 		  Members</font></b></font></div>	  </td>	</tr>	<tr> 	  <td width="37" bgcolor="F1F1F1" align="center"> <font face="Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif"> 		<input type="radio" name="username" value="edit" id="edit">		</font></td>	  <td width="38" bgcolor="F1F1F1" align="left"><font face="Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif">Edit</font></td>	  <td height="200" width="175" align="center" valign="middle" bgcolor="F1F1F1" rowspan="4"> 		<style type="text/css">		select {font-family: Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif, monospace;}		</style>		<font face="Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif">Select Member</font><tt> 		<select name="members" style="width:150px;margin:5px 0 5px 0;" multiple size="10">		  <?$memQuery = "SELECT user FROM users ORDER BY user"; //Get all the user name rows$getUsers = mysql_query($memQuery,$msa) or DIE (mysql_error);$userRow = mysql_num_rows($getUsers);$ur = 0;while (($ur < $userRow))	{	$username=mysql_result($getUsers , $ur , "user");		echo "<option>$username";	$ur++;	}	?>		</select>		</tt> </td>	</tr>	<tr> 	  <td width="37" bgcolor="F1F1F1" align="center"> <font face="Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif"> 		<input type="radio" name="username" value="warn" id="warn">		</font></td>	  <td width="38" bgcolor="F1F1F1" align="left"><font face="Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif">Warn</font></td>	</tr>	<tr> 	  <td width="37" bgcolor="F1F1F1" align="center"> <font face="Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif"> 		<input type="radio" name="username" value="delete" id="delete">		</font></td>	  <td width="38" bgcolor="F1F1F1" align="left"><font face="Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif">Delete</font></td>	</tr>	<tr> 	  <td width="75" bgcolor="F1F1F1" align="center" colspan="2"><font face="Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif"><input type="SUBMIT" name="users" value="Go"></font></td>	</tr>  </table></form>

I am trying to get the output to the next page. But i am rather lost in how to get it. The idea is, they select the username, put a radio selection next to the appropriate action, and then hit the submit button. The question is, how, on the userActions.php page, do i grab the correct data? I feel like i am going in circles, but i have never messed with radio buttons before. Any help, or direction, would be great!

Nevermind, i figured it out..

$def = $_POST['username'];$username = $_POST['members'];if ($def == 'edit') echo "Edit Member, $username";if ($def == "warn") echo "Warn Member, $username";if ($def == "delete") echo "Delete Member, $username";

It worked right, so far

This is what switch statements are used for also. If you have a series of if statements where you are checking the value of the same expression, you can just use a switch statement instead. For only 2 or 3 if statements a switch wouldn't make a big deal, but it will be more efficient for larger possibilities.

switch($def){  case 'edit':	echo "Edit member";  break;  case 'warn':	echo "Warn member";  break;  case 'delete':	echo "Delete member";  break;  default:	echo "Unknown action: {$def}";  break;}

The default case is optional. Cases also have a property called fall-through. If a case does not have a break statement, then the execution will fall through to the next case, until it finds a break. So this switch statement would print out "test" however many times the $i variable says. So if $i is 5, it prints "test" 5 times. Since there are no breaks, the execution will start at the first point it can (the first case statement to be true) and will keep going until it hits a break.

switch($i){  case 10:	echo "test";  case 9:	echo "test";  case 8:	echo "test";  case 7:	echo "test";  case 6:	echo "test";  case 5:	echo "test";  case 4:	echo "test";  case 3:	echo "test";  case 2:	echo "test";  case 1:	echo "test";	break;  default:	echo $i;	break;}

You can take advantage of fall-through if you have a set of things that need to happen for more cases then one. You can put the specialized things in their own cases and fall-through to the general purpose things.

switch($action){  case 'changesize':	$width = 100;	$height = 100;  case 'reposition':	$left = 100;	$top = 50;  default:	//always do this	$text = "updated";	break;}

That way if $action were "reposition", it would set the position variables and then update the text. If $action were "changesize" then it would change the dimensions, then repositon, then update the text. If action were anything else then it would only update the text.

Archived