ASP/ADO help

jwalker

Using ASP and and ADO ConnectionObject's Open method, if the database is on a websever which would be the easiest to accomplish if you are using someone else's webserver: the domain name(http:\\www.domainname.com), machine name(\\servername\), or just the full path(i.e. c:\. . . .) of where the database is stored.I'm not sure if I am asking this right or not but here is what I am trying to accomplish.Using ASP and an html form I want to have the user input info and then have that data stored in a database. I have a local machine that is running IIS and am able to accomplish that, but I do not own a websever and am paying for space on a webserver. I don't know what OS the server is running so not sure how to go about telling the connection object where the database will be stored. I guess if it was a windows passed server it would be under c:\inetpub. Any help would be appreciated.

It depends how the database is set up. If the web server has a database server like SQL Server installed, you don't need to give it the physical path to the files, you just connect to the database server at localhost and start using it. If it's something like Access then you would need to give it the path to the file. You can use Server.MapPath to give the path to the current script.

Archived