ASCII

sircharlo

Is it oky to use ASCII, or should I at all cost use UTF ?Cause I am sick and tired of UTF-8. (It has to do with my editor not really saving my files in UTF)See, I have to use a lot of accents (éàèç, etc.) and all I see is a bunch of �'s if I don't use the entities.And UTF-8 doesn't support entities. Aaaaaaaggh.

And UTF-8 doesn't support entities. Aaaaaaaggh.
You're kidding. Since when?All encodings support entities. There are many aspects that can go wrong when dealing with encodings - the actual file encoding, the way the web server sees it, the way the browser sees it. That's pretty much the story of plain HTML files. Dealing with dynamic pages (i.e. S3Ls) makes the story even longer, but let's not go there yet.If you want to use UTF-8, your document better be saved as UTF-8. Notepad can save a file as UTF-8. Copy and paste your content into it and save it as a new file, when on the "Encoding" drop down menu - select UTF-8.Also, in your HTML file, be sure to have
<meta http-equiv="Content-type" content="text/hml;charset=utf-8"/>

The meta *should* also deal with the server issue.

If you want to use UTF-8, your document better be saved as UTF-8. Notepad can save a file as UTF-8. Copy and paste your content into it and save it as a new file, when on the "Encoding" drop down menu - select UTF-8.Also, in your HTML file, be sure to have
<meta http-equiv="Content-type" content="text/hml;charset=utf-8"/>

Thank you so much ! The Notepad thing fixed my problem right away. Wow !BTW, JFYI, and WADR, you wrote "content="text/hml". I'd never heard of Hyper Markup Language !Thank you alot for your help

BTW, JFYI, and WADR, you wrote "content="text/hml". I'd never heard of Hyper Markup Language !
Eh... it happens with fast typing :) . Glad I could help.

Eh... it happens with fast typing :) . Glad I could help.
lol, I wouldn't even remember how to write out that meta tag even if my life depended on it. I copy/paste. :)

Archived