Get all heading tags on page and create anchor links to them?

grippat

I've got some long HTML files that are basically a software manual. Each section is started with a <h3> tag. What I want to do is create a script that will find all the <h3> tags in the document and create a list of links to each section and use the <h3> tags as anchors. Has anyone done this sort of thing before or have any ideas?

Well, to start, you can get all the h3s in a document by doing the following

var h3s = document.getElementsByTagName("h3");

Then, once you have all the h3s, you could loop through them and either use the pre-existing ID of each h3 to create the anchor or use a new id

// first, create an empty array of links.  we'll add links// as we find h3s.var links = new Array();for(var i = 0; i < h3s.length; i++){	var h3 = h3s[i];	if(h3.id == "")  // is there an id?	{		h3.id = "h3_" + i;  // we'll just create an id	}	// now we create the links.  we'll use the h3's id as the anchor	// and the h3's innerHTML as the text that people can click on.	var link = document.createElement("a");	link.href = "#" + h3.id;	link.appendChild(document.createTextNode(h3.innerHTML));	// now we'll add that link to our array of links.	links[links.length] = link;	// or, if you prefer:	// links.push(link);}

Now that you have the array of links, you can put them somewhere.

var container = document.getElementById("MyLinkContainer");for(var i = 0; i < links.length; i++){	container.appendChild(links[i]);}

I haven't really tested this, but it should point you in the right direction.

Archived