Trying to center my CSS layout

yldziner

body { margin: 0 auto; } Might work
and if it doesn't try this, position with negative left margin:#container {position:relative|absolute|fixed; top:whatever; left:50%; width(essential):whatever; margin-left: -half_the_width; }Your dimensions don't have to be in pixels; ems work well, because if the viewer resizes or if their screen-res is different to yours, the layout won't break.

the absolute positioning of the page elements won't allow for centering of that page...
Have you checked? the nested absolutley-positioned elements would then be positioned *relative* to the container.

apologies, my explanation was confusing. Change your

container {position:relative|absolute|fixed; top:0; left:50%;width(essential):1000;margin-left: 500; }

to

container {position:absolute; top:0px; left:50%;width:1000px;margin-left: -500px; }

I meant that you could use any version of positioning; and that, in order for the negative left margin to work accurately (it pulls the element back to the left), it has to be half the width of the container: therefore specifying a width for #container is essential. NB the minus sign in fromt of the left-margin; also good to specify your units, although most browsers will read no-units-specified as pixels.Also good practice to specify a doctype:w3schools doctype infohth

although most browsers will read no-units-specified as pixels.
Must be using IE.A Standards Compliant Browser will fail to use the measurement without a unit of measurement qualifier such as px, em, %, etc. which is the correct method.

Archived