renaming div's

d-leifer

Hi, I'm redesigning my website and my original site is a mess. The majority of the pages are of different sizes then the others. My question is if this means I need to give each div a unique id name on each page? And if so do I also make unique li, li a, a:hover, etc. for each page? So basically what would I have to rename all the information listed below on each page where the height is different? Thanks!#midbot-services { position:absolute; left:176px; top:146px; width:658px; height:661px; border-width: 1px; border-style: dotted; padding: 10px; font-family: Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif; font-size: 12px; border-color: #815b2c;}#midbot-services ul { margin: 15px 0 0 15px; padding: 0px; text-align: left;}#midbot-services li { font: normal 12px/1.5em arial, verdana, sans-serif; padding: 0px; list-style: none; margin-top: 0px; text-align: left; color: #565656; font-family: Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif; line-height: 1.5em; list-style-type: none; } #midbot-services li a { text-decoration: underline; font-family: Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif; font-size: 12px; font-weight: bold; color: #336699; }#midbot-services li a:visited { color: #6699cc; text-decoration: underline; font-weight: normal; }#midbot-services li a:hover { text-decoration: none; background-color: #fff; color: #69c; font-family: Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif; font-size: 12px; font-weight: normal; }#midbot-services p { line-height: 1.5em;}

Also, take a step back from your css styles and try to make them less prescriptive. What I mean by that is, if a style is so specific it can only be used once, then to some extent that defeats the object of maintaining a stylesheet. So, for example, instead of absolute positioning and measurements like 661px, try to express things in terms of the containing elements, by using relative positioning and percentage sizes. That way, you may find you can define styles that are correct for many or all of your pages, instead of just one.

Archived