using a database to allow access

unplugged_web

I wonder if somebody can help me please. I have a webpage that I only want certain people to be able to visit, depending on if their details are in the database. I think I got it right (or at least most of it right), but just wanted someone to confirm this as I'm not that confident around php.Somebody will do to a page and have to add their name

<form action="user.php" method="get"><label>Name<input type="text" name="fistname" /></label><input type="text" name="surname" /><br /><input type="submit" value="GO" /></form>

Then the user.php page would be

<?php$con = mysql_connect("hostname/server IP","username","password");if (!$con)  {  die('Could not connect: ' . mysql_error());  }mysql_select_db("database_name", $con);$result = mysql_query("SELECT users");$firstname = $_REQUEST['firstname'];$surname = $_REQUEST['surname'];if ($firstname == '' and $surname == '') {echo 'user_page.php';} else {echo "non_user_page.php";}?>

So basically if both the first and surnames match results that are stored in a database then they are taken to one page, but are taken to a different page if they are not in the database.Thanks

I'd do it this way:

<?php$con = mysql_connect("hostname/server IP","username","password");if (!$con)  {  die('Could not connect: ' . mysql_error());  }mysql_select_db("database_name", $con);$firstname = $_REQUEST['firstname'];$surname = $_REQUEST['surname'];$result = mysql_query("SELECT * FROM users WHERE firstname = '$firstname' AND surname = '$surname'");if (mysql_num_rows($result) > 0) {echo 'user_page.php';} else {echo "non_user_page.php";}?>

By the way, substitute firstname and surname for the database field names if these are incorrect in "firstname = '$firstname' AND surname = '$surname'"

I'd do it this way:
<?php$con = mysql_connect("hostname/server IP","username","password");if (!$con)  {  die('Could not connect: ' . mysql_error());  }mysql_select_db("database_name", $con);$firstname = $_REQUEST['firstname'];$surname = $_REQUEST['surname'];$result = mysql_query("SELECT * FROM users WHERE firstname = '$firstname' AND surname = '$surname'");if (mysql_num_rows($result) > 0) {echo 'user_page.php';} else {echo "non_user_page.php";}?>

By the way, substitute firstname and surname for the database field names if these are incorrect in "firstname = '$firstname' AND surname = '$surname'"

Thanks, I'll give that a go

To redirect, set the header like this in place of the echos. Just replacing "" with the addess you want to redirect to. header( 'Location: ' );
Sorry to be stupid, but where do I put the header( "Location: {url}'); ? I changed the code to
<?php$con = mysql_connect("hostname/server IP","username","password");if (!$con)  {  die('Could not connect: ' . mysql_error());  }mysql_select_db("database_name", $con);$firstname = $_REQUEST['firstname'];$surname = $_REQUEST['surname'];$result = mysql_query("SELECT * FROM users WHERE firstname = '$firstname' AND surname = '$surname'");if (mysql_num_rows($result) > 0) {header("location: loggedin.php");	  exit();  } else {	  echo 'echo "register.php.!';  }  ?>

but got an error message saying

line 14 is:
header("location: loggedin.php");

Thanks

The problem is that it may allow access to people who have similar names to others, but if you really want it, try this query:

$firstname = $_REQUEST['firstname'];$surname = substr($_REQUEST['surname'],0,1); // gets the first character of the given name.$result = mysql_query("SELECT * FROM users WHERE firstname = '$firstname' AND surname LIKE '$surname%'");

The problem is that it may allow access to people who have similar names to others, but if you really want it, try this query:
$firstname = $_REQUEST['firstname'];$surname = substr($_REQUEST['surname'],0,1); // gets the first character of the given name.$result = mysql_query("SELECT * FROM users WHERE firstname = '$firstname' AND surname LIKE '$surname%'");

Thanks for that, it was spot on

Archived