different styles

sugan

i'm in a position to have different styles for the same HTML element inside a div..i'm already using the styles defined in the css file and i'm using that and it's working.but i need two different styles and should be applied on the elements depends upon the position they are coded.eg:the first input inside a div should have a style and the second input element should have different style.already i'm using styles.ann_div{z-index:1000;font-size:90%;height:283px;}.menu select {width:13em;position:relative;border:1px solid #fff; */}the above code is applying the style whenever i create/use a select option inside the div..please help me.

i'm in a position to have different styles for the same HTML element inside a div..i'm already using the styles defined in the css file and i'm using that and it's working.but i need two different styles and should be applied on the elements depends upon the position they are coded.eg:the first input inside a div should have a style and the second input element should have different style....
You can apply different styles to the same html element type using the class selector. For example:
<html><head><style type="text/css">p.a {color:green}p.b {color:red}</style></head><body><div><p>Line 1</p><p class="a">Line 2</p><p class="b">Line 3</p></div></body></html>

Hi,The above code is usual one which i do. For example i let the users of my site to create a page with their own content.. the page automatically includes the header which contains the css.When ever the user creates html elements the elements in that page should inherit the css based on the position they are created ..For example the user can create his own select elements and the first should have a certain style and the second should have another style and user actually doesn't give any class reference.What can i do in this scenario?Regards,Sugan

...When ever the user creates html elements the elements in that page should inherit the css based on the position they are created .....
I doubt that you can do that with css alone. But you don't say what your mechanism is for allowing the user to create html elements. Does it involve scripting? Client-side, or server-side? I should think you will need scripting to set the css class in this way. Please post your existing code that lets the user create html elements.

When ever the user creates html elements the elements in that page should inherit the css based on the position they are created ..
You can use the sequence selector, but it does not work in IE 6 and I am not sure about IE 7
p {/* some styles for first paragraph */}p + p {/* Some styles for second paragraph */}

Archived