Downloading ASP

MrAdam

Im looking at learning ASP or ASP.NET. I already know Javascript and Visual Basic (not vbscript) and wondering which would be the better to start learning? Also how would I go about running it off my webserver installed on this windows computer? I've already got PHP and Apache running on it.Cheers, Adam

Windows XP Pro and Server 2003 and some versions of Vista include the IIS server, when you install IIS it includes support for ASP. I'm not sure how someone would go about getting Apache on Windows to run ASP applications, there might be a way though. You might want to search online if you want to do that, but it's included with IIS. As far as the language goes, you'll have a lot fewer headaches if you write your pages using Javascript, it is a much more powerful and fast language then VBScript. The vast majority of tutorials and examples online are given in VBScript, but Javascript is the superior language. That only applies to ASP classic though, for ASP.NET it would be better to use a language like C#.

:) I would say either learn ASP or ASP.NET, because they are in many ways very different, and in learning one when you go to the other many things you will have to "unlearn" or learn differently.... like learning C and C++ in a way.

Gotchya. I reckon I will start learning ASP.NET because it seems to be more benefitial to know that these days. I have tried installing this before though and it didn't go well. What do I need to run ASP.NET applications on my computer?Cheers for help, Adam

ASP.Net is the successor of ASP and is more widely used. If you are going to learn ASP.Net download the free version of Visual Web Developer 2008. I thas a mini webserver builtin for testing your applications.

ASP.Net can run on Apache kindof using the Mono Project (basically a port of .Net to all platforms. In order to run ASP on apache you need ChiliASP (again another port of the original language) but ChiliASP is not free.

Archived