[Help Needed] New to javascript

jyzackoh

hi everybody. i have just finished leanring html and xhtml and abit of css and am interested in learning javascript.However, for now, i am in search of a script or tutorial that would teach me how to do a drop down navigation like the one in "3iX.org". Could anyone link me to a tutorial somewhere as i have searched this forums only to find nothing.Also, could somebody explain what the code means to me? Thank you for your time and i really appreciate it.Zack

hi! thanks. i got infatuated with this "http://www.dynamicdrive.com/dynamicindex1/omnislide/index.htm".But i have one question. Because the .js files are big due to the large amounts of text for the coding, will it eat up more bandwidth/data-transfer than the example stated above(which requires less text for the coding)?I am trying to save up on the bandwidth/data-transfer =( because i do not have money to get an uber fast hosting service with unlimited bandwidth. =(Thanks for your help!It's greatly AppreciatedZack

External files get cahced by the browsers to generally your visitors will only have to download it once and the browser will use the cached version. You can also use javascript minifiers that will remove all whitespace and comments. Some even go as far as renaming your variables and functions to very short names to save space.Using a host that serves content (or allows you to use) GZipped will save on bandwidth.But unless you get into the tens or hundreds of thousands of pageviews per month or are serving audio, video, or other large files you don't have to worry about bandwidth.

Archived