Database Search Form

ldg1976

Hi - I'm new to ASP&SQL and would like someone to point me in the right direction with my code below. My form below takes info from 2 categories within a table (fields are: location and category) which are displayed in the form and when selected are displayed on the next page (result.asp). My problem is that I need the rest of the info from the table (i.e name, address, email) that relates to the specific location and category.If anyone can help in any way shape or form in how/where I add the SQL query to get the info onto the results.asp, it will be a great help!search.asp

<%@ Language=VBScript %><%	Option Explicit %><!--#include file="dbconnection.asp"--><%Dim rsName%><html><head><title>Untitled Document</title><meta http-equiv="Content-Type" content="text/html; charset=iso-8859-1"></head><body>  <form action="result.asp" method="post" name="frmsearch" id="frmsearch">		  <table width="469" border="0">	<!--DWLayoutTable-->	<tr> 	  <td width="63" height="24" valign="top"><strong>Location:</strong></td>	  <td colspan="2" rowspan="2" valign="top"> <p> <b> 		  <%			set rsName = Server.CreateObject("ADODB.Recordset")			rsName.ActiveConnection = strConnection			rsName.Source = "SELECT DISTINCT location FROM info order by location asc"			rsName.CursorType = 0			rsName.CursorLocation = 2			rsName.LockType = 3			rsName.Open()			%>		  </b> 		  <select name="location">			<%					Do While Not rsName.EOF					%>			<option value="<%=rsName.fields.item("location").value%>"><%=rsName.fields.item("location").value%></option>			<%					rsName.MoveNext					Loop					%>		  </select>		  <b>and </b></td>	</tr>	<tr> 	  <td height="13"></td>	</tr>	<tr>	  <td height="22"></td>	  <td width="1"> </td>	  <td width="391"></td>	</tr>	<tr> 	  <td height="22" colspan="2" valign="top"><strong>Category:</strong></td>	  <td rowspan="2" valign="top"> 		<%			set rsName = Server.CreateObject("ADODB.Recordset")			rsName.ActiveConnection = strConnection			rsName.Source = "SELECT DISTINCT category FROM info order by category asc"			rsName.CursorType = 0			rsName.CursorLocation = 2			rsName.LockType = 3			rsName.Open()			%>		<select name="category">		  <%					Do While Not rsName.EOF					%>		  <option value="<%=rsName.fields.item("category").value%>"><%=rsName.fields.item("category").value%></option>		  <%					rsName.MoveNext					Loop					%>		</select>		<p>		  <input type="submit" name="Submit" value="Search" />	  </td>	</tr>	<tr> 	  <td height="45"> </td>	  <td> </td>	</tr>  </table>			  </form></body></html>

result.asp

<%@LANGUAGE="VBSCRIPT" CODEPAGE="1252"%><%	Option Explicit %><%Dim rsName%><!DOCTYPE HTML PUBLIC "-//W3C//DTD HTML 4.01 Transitional//EN"><html><head><title>Untitled Document</title><meta http-equiv="Content-Type" content="text/html; charset=iso-8859-1"></head><body><%=request.form("category")%> in <%=request.form("location")%> <br><br>Name Address Email (info that matches the selected category and location)</body></html>

Thank you(If this looks familiar - I added this to the SQL forum my mistake! :) )

You can do something like this:

set rs = Server.CreateObject("ADODB.Recordset")rs.ActiveConnection = strConnectionrs.open("SELECT * FROM info WHERE location='" & Request.Form("location") & "' AND category='" & Request.Form("category") & "'")while not rs.eof  Response.Write(rs.fields.item("name").value & rs.fields.item("address").value & rs.fields.item("email").value)  rs.movenextwendrs.close

• 3 weeks later...

Archived