Access to media player

kurt.santo

I embed music into web page via "<embed src="music/file1.mp3" width=18 height=18 autostart=false repeat=true loop=false>". This method loads a small Quicktime Plugin with a play button for each music file. I wondered if there is a way to load only one player, which does not show (maybe offsetting it to the left off the screen) and then just to have a text link, which starts the track when clicked upon and one that stops it when clicked. Can JavaScript interact with the player? That would be marvellous...Kurt

No, it can't, if you want decent player controls you'll need to use something like a Flash MP3 player.
But would I then be able to do what I am after?: Have one player, which is hidden, but can be accessed via stop and play buttons, which are placed behind each music file? Had a browse for Flash players as you suggested in an earlier post of mine, but found the wealth of information overwhelming and was quite happy when I found an easy way to embed music file (but as you can see found quickly the limitations)...Kurt

I'm sure there are players that will only have stop/play buttons for the interface, you'll just have to check and see what's available. There are quite a few players out there. It will be difficult to have stop and play buttons for each file though, because if you click every play button then every file will be playing at the same time. You would need to stop one then play the other one. It might be better to have a single player that shows a playlist which lists every file on the page in the playlist.

I'm sure there are players that will only have stop/play buttons for the interface, you'll just have to check and see what's available. There are quite a few players out there. It will be difficult to have stop and play buttons for each file though, because if you click every play button then every file will be playing at the same time. You would need to stop one then play the other one. It might be better to have a single player that shows a playlist which lists every file on the page in the playlist.
Thanks for your input. Just to double-check: there is no option to have one player somewhere on page, but all files are listed separately in htm with play/stop text link, which can access player? Was sure I have seen it somewhere, but just cannot remember;-(Kurt

I don't know if someone has created a player like that or not. What I do know is that there is no basic "player" that you can embed on a page, playing music is not part of HTML. HTML does not have anything in it to create a player on a page and associate all these songs with it, that's just not a part of the HTML spec. What HTML does allow is to embed one or more pieces of audio on a page, but you can't use all of those like they're all part of one big player. Again, HTML does not include a music player. If you want anything other then a piece of audio embedded on a page that relies on the user to have a media player installed and set up and supporting the right formats then you will want to use a music player specifically built to do what you want.Look at the Wimpy WaSP player, I know you can control that through Javascript. That might be what you're looking for.

I don't know if someone has created a player like that or not. What I do know is that there is no basic "player" that you can embed on a page, playing music is not part of HTML. HTML does not have anything in it to create a player on a page and associate all these songs with it, that's just not a part of the HTML spec. What HTML does allow is to embed one or more pieces of audio on a page, but you can't use all of those like they're all part of one big player. Again, HTML does not include a music player. If you want anything other then a piece of audio embedded on a page that relies on the user to have a media player installed and set up and supporting the right formats then you will want to use a music player specifically built to do what you want.Look at the Wimpy WaSP player, I know you can control that through Javascript. That might be what you're looking for.
Sorry to be a pain. I know you suggested Wimpy before. On their website right now to learn more about the features... Cheers,Kurt

Archived