Display settings differ between XP and Vista

Elemental

Hey Folks,Sorry I made a mistake in the original post, my bad, so I corrected the mistakes but I'm still looking for help with this I have a question about Display Settings, wasn’t sure where to post this so …I’ve been teaching myself CSS and XHTML and so far so good; however, I encountered a problem when viewing the same page between my Home PC and my Work PC.At home I have an XP, and at work I have a Vista, and maybe that’s the problem but… Correction I'm the problemWhen viewing my work on my home PC Windows XP Display Settings 1024 X 768 I actually have it set to 1152 X 864, everything looks as it should, when I view it on the Vista, same Display Settings this one is set to 1024 X 768, everything looks larger, so much so that the Horizontal Bar becomes active. so of course it looks larger due to the different settingsThis however brings up a different question, but yet similsr, how does one set it so that it looks the same no matter the Display settings?I'm leaving this in because I thought that changing the Text size in View would make a difference but I guess not, Huh?My CSS has the font-size set to 12px but they almost look like they were set to 14px or even 16px. I thought that it could be the Browser’s View Settings but even when changing this setting there was no visible change.I should read more on this stuff.I’ve heard and read, very little, about Browser Compatibility, but from what I’ve read the issues are between the Manufactures, not their own versions; I’m I wrong on this?Did I mentioned I’m teaching myself this stuff, I have no IDEA what could cause this I still would like to know how to code so that the page will display the same or as close as possible regardless the Display Settings, and I was hoping someone here could at least point me in the right direction fo this, now.Peace,Elemental

Use relative units wherever possible. Relative units (like "%", "pt", "em", etc.) are relative to the computer screen, and they size up and down to fit the proportions given.However, be warned that you're entering ######'s gate with this. No HTML/CSS site can look pixel perfect in all browsers, but the difference, when absolute units are used, is usually a few pixels which users and bosses alike will never care about. With relative units, the differences can get much bigger, because different browsers have different bugs when it comes to calculating relative units. No browser yet fully supports mixed unit calculations (eg. 100% - 1px) which would otherwise be the cure for this, and even if I've missed the news on that one, the lack of any support in IE is still a problem.

Use relative units wherever possible. Relative units (like "%", "pt", "em", etc.) are relative to the computer screen, and they size up and down to fit the proportions given.However, be warned that you're entering ######'s gate with this. No HTML/CSS site can look pixel perfect in all browsers, but the difference, when absolute units are used, is usually a few pixels which users and bosses alike will never care about. With relative units, the differences can get much bigger, because different browsers have different bugs when it comes to calculating relative units. No browser yet fully supports mixed unit calculations (eg. 100% - 1px) which would otherwise be the cure for this, and even if I've missed the news on that one, the lack of any support in IE is still a problem.
Thank you for taking the time and reading my madness, boen_robot, I appreciate it.Okay so RELATIVE when ever possible, this gives you more control as to the way an element will display. If I understand this correctly, when using Relative to position an element, relative refers to the elements own position within the browser window, and has no barring on any other element that shares occupies the same space, yes?Then Absolute, refers to the absolute distance between an element, and all other elements that shares/occupies the same space within the browser window, yes?Am I even warm?How does this work then when using an image for the background? In the page I created using the Display Settings of 1152 X 864 the image which is 12 X 700 (with CSS applied to it) filled the window, however the same image with the 1054 X 768 Display Settings was about an inch short from the bottom and duplicated?Peace,Elemental

You are talking about relative positioning (position:relative;). That's not what I mean. I mean relative units in all properties. For example:

padding:5%;margin:10%;font-size:1.5em;

You are talking about relative positioning (position:relative;). That's not what I mean. I mean relative units in all properties. For example:
padding:5%;margin:10%;font-size:1.5em;

boen_robot, Thank you for the clarification; I've got lots to learn......Peace,Elemental

Synook, Thanks for the link, I'll put it at the top of the ever growing list of things to learnPeace,Elemental

Archived