Chat Help...

clonetrooper9494

Ok, I have a login page, am working on the signup page, and now I was wondering: what would be the best way to do this? I was thinking there would be one table...Table: CHAT-------------------------------------------------------------------------user_ID | text | chat_ID | date | post_ID |-------------------------------------------------------------------------the users ID#| hello! | this could be |the date...| 00001like here... | bye! |a chat between| to see how|00002123 | |people or | old it is | 00003485 | more... like |920 | 123_485_920 |I think that I would be able to pull this off... except for the post ID. part. how would I make that go up by 1 every entry? how could I avoid to of the same post ID's? is this the best idea?Also, how would I make a forum, where the oldest topics are at the bottom of a list and forums have pages? (like page 1 has newest, page 2 has older... ect.)

If you set a field to be an integer primary key with an autoincrement, autonumber, or identity attribute it will be a unique number that gets incremented by one for every new record.

Also, how would I make a forum, where the oldest topics are at the bottom of a list and forums have pages? (like page 1 has newest, page 2 has older... ect.)
Look up pagination.

(I knew that making a table for every user would be too much) :)
Before people who are good get good, we all had the same ideas. It's part of being a nube.

Archived