Complexity level

user4fun

How complex is this, and how much is a resonable charge for a professional to set it up?PersonSends text to a specific cell number.That cell would communicate and send the persons number and the message to the server.The server would pull data from the servers database based on the criteria of the message send by person.send the data found via text messaging to the persons cell number where the text message was orginated.ExampleI am a user and my cell number is 123-456-7890I will text the criteria meetings to cell number 555-555-5555 That line (555-555-5555) would communicate with database on site www.example.comThe example.com would look on the mysql database and pulls entries under criteria meetingsthen sends the results found via text message to the originator on cell number 123-456-7890Any input is appreciated as far as obstacles- complexity- possible reasonable charge for that setup etc.

On a scale of 1-10 for a nube, about a 50. For an experienced person, proficient in whatever language this is being done in, probably more annoying than complex. If 555-555-5555 is supposed to be an SMS text recepient, i believe those are just 5 numbers long(like the text adapter for Google is GOOGL). If it's an actual phone number of a person, then your plan will not work, solely because how would your system know that you sent a text to person b? Personal opinion, of course.

The software part seems easy enough (for me). However, the hardware involved is costly, and I'm not even completely sure what's the full gear required.You need a special receiver (called an "SMS gateway" I think) that will hold your SIM card. An ordinary phone won't cut it, even if it's a latest model with bluetooth and all. That receiver must be connected to the server, and a resident program on the server must monitor the receiver for new messages.From then on, it's a matter of executing a script at the event (PHP even) that will connect to the DB, fetch the result, and use some sort of underlying method (executable, COM, etc.) to send this result via the SMS gateway. How exactly do you initiate the script depends entirely on the gateway and the interfaces it provides. At worst, you'll need a special server machine just for this service, and ping the program every second with a script.Again, I'm not sure, but really, the hardware involved is more expensive than the work an expert needs to do.

I am not worried about the expenses, I got people that are willing to pay for the system.Example. The tv adds that you see about text this to that number and you will receive a music tune you can use for your cellphone. What ever, we just want to know the cost and the type of technology needed to have people text a message to a number, Cell phone or not, just to a number that will commuicate with a server, pull information and command the sever to send a text message back holding the information requested. sending the message back the the cell phone that requested it.

ASP2SMS seems like an ASP pack that performs communication with SMS Modems (Now THAT was how the hardware was called), and the link describes some hardware solutions you can use. I'm betting it would work just as fine with other hardware. Writing a similar package for PHP shouldn't be much of a problem... I think.Google's producs has some offers about some modems you may be interested in. As you can see, the price is around £53.51-£630.92, which I must say is quite some range. And I'm not sure what of theese to suggest. I think the "Falcom Samba 55 GSM Based SMS Modem" may be the best choise, as it's the only phone and mainboard independant and appropriate hardware.Be aware that even with this hardware, you must still pay for every SMS you send from the modem. Negotiating some sort of a special offer with your network provider may be a good thing to do if you want to shorten your spendings a bit.

OK, I am getting the jsut of itThis is a yes/no question.Website, hardaware etc to get the system up and running.Is it safe to tell my guys that it will costs less that 10 thousand US dollars??
The hardware - yes. But I wouldn't be too rushy in saying that before I've found someone willing to make the site though. I would do it for less than 10 thousand US dollars, but I've never done it before, so I'm certainly not reliable, and someone who is might want that amount of money.

Any companies that you recomend. I live in a failr mid size town and I am not sure if there would be company arround here that can do that?
Your GSM network provider must have/know this type of people. They are professionally doing those things after all. Contact them, asking who did their site, and if they can do this type of thing. If your GSM network provider already implements a similar feature on their site, you don't need to reveal your plan. Just ask who made the site, and ask those developers for the price.

You know not to be mean, But if you're going to be getting paid for this, I think the people who've helped you so far should get a piece of what they're paying you since they're helping you figure out what kind of technology, how much it'll cost, and even where to get it from. If it's a question of coding, and you're knew and trying to learn to get paid later, I can completely understand. However, If you're already attempting to get paid for this, and you're asking us, well then the people might as well just hire one of us to do it since you're asking us anyway it would just cut out the middle man. I really don't have a problem with people learning how to code in order to get paying things later on, it's just people who tell someone "yeah, i could do that!" and then ask on forums what kind of things to do and so on, now those kind of people annoy me.Maybe, just maybe, you should go and do this research yourself, instead of asking us.

OK, one last question- what kind off technology do I need to reasearch? as far as software and hardware.
I think I said it already - SMS modems as hardware, the SMS modem's driver as software. It will all come right at you when you find and buy an SMS Modem. If it doesn't, I think I'll start talking like Jhecht.

Thank you so much for your help, one final question. Any brand or model SMS modem you recommend or heard about.I need to be able to recieve and send sms- the auto respond sms is database oriented ( in case that makes a difference)

Thank you so much for your help, one final question. Any brand or model SMS modem you recommend or heard about.I need to be able to recieve and send sms- the auto respond sms is database oriented ( in case that makes a difference)
Excuse me, did you read that post of mine at all? It also contains links to some offers for SMS modems. I can't reccomend any particular one, as I've never used one myself.

Archived