script timeout

joecool2005

The server will automatically do that, it will display a server error that the time limit was reached. If you want to do that yourself then set the timeout to something higher and have a function that executes every second or something to check how long the script has been running and stop if it hits a certain amount. You can only do that with Javascript, not VBscript, and you would use the setInterval function to get your function to run periodically.

Server.ScriptTimeout = 60;var start_time = new Date();var max_seconds = 30;intId = setInterval("check_time()", 1000);function check_time(){  var current = new Date();  if ((current.valueOf() - start_time.valueOf()) / 1000 > max_seconds)  {	Response.Write("timeout");	Response.End();  }}

setInterval is a method on the window object I believe in the DOM, so I'm not sure whether that will work in ASP. Worth a try though.Edit: no, apparently that doesn't work. I don't think you can have a custom timeout error message. About the only thing you can do is create a custom error page.

<%oError = Server.GetLastError();Response.Write("Sorry, there was an error. The error was " + oErr.Description);%>

Archived