check syntax?

voodoochicken

hi, a little background: i am trying to do something with trees. i am trying to update the number of children that hang from each node, i am also interested in knowing the total number of children of the 4th level relative to each node (with parent as 1st level). i am doing tree operations by levels rather than the usual 'preorder-whatever' to do less random accesses. lets assume that each node knows its absolute level already1. i am trying to set how many 'new children' from a certain level should be added to each node of the previous level, and which level did they come from. i am trying to do it with this (-some names changed- please check syntax, which is the idea of this topic):SELECT COD_PARENT, SUM(CONT1) AS CONT1, SUM(CONT2) AS CONT2, SUM(CONT3) AS CONT3, SUM(CONT4) AS CONT4, SUM(CONT5) AS CONT5 INTO TEMP_CONT FROM ALL_TREE WHERE LEVEL = ".$max_level." GROUP BY COD_PARENTif i did this right, at the end should be a table (temp_cont) with the sum of all new nodes that come from previous levels (all new nodes had originally a '1' in cont1, and each 'cont' should mean where did those nodes -or which previous level- come from, relative to this level)now i want to add each of those sums to the respective node. i am trying to do it with a sentence similar to this one (please check syntax, i am more uncertain about this one, again, some names changed):UPDATE ALL_TREE SET CONT2=TEMP_CONT.CONT1, CONT3=TEMP_CONT.CONT2, CONT4=TEMP_CONT.CONT3, CONT5=CONT5+TEMP_CONT.CONT4, TOTAL_CHILDREN = (TOTAL_CHILDREN + TEMP_CONT.CONT1 + TEMP_CONT.CONT2 + TEMP_CONT.CONT3 + TEMP_CONT.CONT4 + TEMP_CONT.CONT5), TOTAL_LEVEL4 = (TOTAL_LEVEL4+TEMP_CONT.CONT3) WHERE COD = TEMP_CONT.COD_PARENTmore or less. i am not sure about the joint part, where i add the sums to the respective counters, where i relate one table with the other. the idea would be to try it, but first i have to do lots of things before having a test table, so i want to check syntax before testing ittnx

Archived