Check back links

kurt.santo

Found this marvellous site, where you can enter a url and it scans the entered url for the existance of a back link. THe code is:

function ConfirmWebLink(){	var webaddress = getObj('website').value;	var allowWebsite = getObj('allow_website').value;		if (webaddress != '' && allowWebsite != 'true')	{		var chk_webaddress = Trim(webaddress.toLowerCase());		chk_webaddress = Replace(chk_webaddress,'http://','');		chk_webaddress = Replace(chk_webaddress,'https://','');		chk_webaddress = Replace(chk_webaddress,'index.html','');		chk_webaddress = Replace(chk_webaddress,'index.htm','');		chk_webaddress = Replace(chk_webaddress,'index.php','');		chk_webaddress = Replace(chk_webaddress,'home.html','');		chk_webaddress = Replace(chk_webaddress,'home.htm','');		chk_webaddress = Replace(chk_webaddress,'default.htm','');		chk_webaddress = Replace(chk_webaddress,'default.html','');		chk_webaddress = Replace(chk_webaddress,'/default.aspx','');		chk_webaddress = Replace(chk_webaddress,'default.asp','');		chk_webaddress = Replace(chk_webaddress,'home.php','');				strLen = chk_webaddress.length;		if ((chk_webaddress.substr(strLen-1,1)) == '/')		{			chk_webaddress = chk_webaddress.substr(0,strLen-1)		}		if (chk_webaddress.indexOf("/") > 0)		{			alert('That doesn\'t appear to be your homepage.\n\n- Only links on your homepage are accepted.\n- Link pages or other pages on your site won\'t be accepted.\n- Homepages that re-direct to other URLs may also cause problems.\n\nPlease contact us if the link on your homepage is not being found.')			getObj('upgrade_disabled').style.display = 'block';		} else {			getObj('iframe-line').style.display = 'block';			getObj('pagescan').style.display = 'block';			getObj('scanning').style.display = 'block';			getObj('pagescan').src = '/customscripts/pm_pagescan.asp?url=' + webaddress;		}	}	else if (webaddress == '')	{		alert("A web address (URL) has not been entered.");	}}

I just do not get where you have the parameters for the link you are checking. Is this in the asp bit and if yes, how could you write a script that would do that? I appreciate any suggestions. Maybe there is a good how to tutorial?Kurt

If you look in the getObj() function you'll find out - it looks like it gets them from <input>s.

If you look in the getObj() function you'll find out - it looks like it gets them from <input>s.
Sorry, mate. Did not explain what I do not understand, so anyone else can understand what I mean;-) I mean if I am abc.co.uk and I want to check if xyz.co.uk has my link on their site. I can see that where the function gets the website to check (which is xyz.co.uk). But how does it know that it has to check for the link "http://www.abc.co.uk" on xyz.co.uk?Kurt

Yeah, you can use PHP. You can use something like file_get_contents to get the code on the remote page, and then search for a regular expression pattern for a link with a certain URL in it.
Cheers, that is a good starting point. Try to Google for a bit more info on how to do that...Kurt

Archived