mail() function message parameter question

doug

In the tutorial here, the message parameter of the mail() function is defined as:"Required. Defines the message to be sent. Each line should be separated with a LF (\n). Lines should not exceed 70 characters"Is that 70 character rule really observed? Do people really have to break up messages into 70 character or less lines? Mail clients do wraparound, so I'm wondering what that is needed for. Also, what about that rule and HTML mail?Thanks,doug

Some mail transfer agents will wrap the mail automatically, so if your lines are longer then 70 characters then the mail might come out looking staggered or something. I've never really seen an issue with it. PHP has a wordwrap function you can use if you want to do that though. But you're not going to get any errors if there are more then 70 characters on a line. I'm not sure how that applies to HTML email, I would assume the mail transfer agent would still wrap things but whitespace in HTML is ignored so it wouldn't have an effect.

Some mail transfer agents will wrap the mail automatically, so if your lines are longer then 70 characters then the mail might come out looking staggered or something. I've never really seen an issue with it. PHP has a wordwrap function you can use if you want to do that though. But you're not going to get any errors if there are more then 70 characters on a line. I'm not sure how that applies to HTML email, I would assume the mail transfer agent would still wrap things but whitespace in HTML is ignored so it wouldn't have an effect.
OK, thanks.doug

Archived