How to float left of a block style

javajoemorgan

This is a snippet of what I have:

<li><a href="#top">•</a><a href="#top" onclick="onLIClick(this.parentNode);">ARTICLE BEGINNING</a></li>

I need the A bullet to always show up to the left of the 2nd A. However, because of other display issues, the A (at least the one of the right), must be a "display: block"... So I thought I would put them in classes and float them left and right respectively....

<li><a class="left" href="#top">•</a><a class="right" href="#top" onclick="onLIClick(this.parentNode);">ARTICLE BEGINNING</a></li>

with..

a .left { float: left; }a .right { float: right; display: block }

However, that didn't work either.How can I get the bullet to stay on the same line as the blocked A? (I'd like to add "without tables", but if that is the only way....)

• 2 weeks later...
Thanks for the idea... it at least led me to a partial solution. I started a new post so it wouldn't get ignored.. it's a really irritating problem.
CSS.box{float:left;display:block;width:100%;}.left{float:left;display:block;width:49%;}.right{float:right;display:block;width:49%;}html<ul><li><div class="box"><div class="left"><a href="">left</a></div><div class="right"><a href="">right</a></div></div></li></ul>there's numbers of ways of going about doing this.

Archived