Which technology to use?

Fukushousha

Hello all.I am new here and I would like to start with quite a general question. I am at my last year of computer science degree ... but I have always programmed normal applications. Had no experience with web programming. I would like to change that now. I want to make an interactive site which would have a database to be accesses and altered by various people in order to achieve something. Quite a general description but that's the general idea.Thing is I don't know which web technology to study in order to accomplish that. Also where do you think the best tutorials on it would be? I only know of w3school ones. Any other places?I am just anxious to start learning to use the apropriate languages in order to achieve what I want. Thanks in advance.

If you've dominated general programming this should be pretty easy for you. You can use PHP, together with some HTML, and Javascript for dynamism, to access, modify and display data from databases.There are some tutorials around, in the W3Schools PHP tutorial they explain how to access and work with databases.

Welcome Fukushousha.You have a lot to decide on and just as many options to choose from. I, personally, prefer ColdFusion as my server side scripting language. I lake the tag based syntax, I like that its free, I like that its developed by Adobe, I like the versatility, it offers, and I thoroughly enjoy the job security it provides. Between the big three (asp, coldfusion, php) there are only subtle differences - they pretty much do the same thing just in different ways.If you've just earned you BS degree and want to get into programming, then you really need to give each a chance but more importantly, you need to look at what industry your career will gravitate toward. If you are looking at big business 500+ employees, then you will likely be using more ASP.NET technologies (C#, VBScript, ASP,NET, etc.). If you are looking at smaller or midsize businesses - then you'll likely see more PHP or classic ASP. You'll find more ColdFusion in government, education, and non-profit organizations.These are gross generalizations so don't worry about anyone who is going to argue one point over the other because these languages are used all over all industries - but just use it as a general understanding of what you are likely to be exposed to more.

Guys what can I say.... except thanks for the great tips and advice. I got a lot more replies than I expected and they will all come in handy for sure.Aspnetguy yes I have experience with C, but mostly with OOP languages like C++ and Java which I love :) Thanks to everyone again.

Archived