ASP mail form

astralaaron

I am getting my first glimps of asp, there is much similarity to php like I expected.I have a questionin the php form you can add on to the message variable with .= "value";

$message ="-----FORM INFORMATION----- \r\n";$message.='FIRST NAME: '.$first_name."\r\n";$message.='LAST NAME: '.$last_name."\r\n";$message.='CITY: '.$city."\r\n";$message.='STATE: '.$state."\r\n";$message.='HOME PHONE: '.$hphone."\r\n";$message.='MOBIL PHONE: '.$mphone."\r\n";$message.='PROJECT BUDGET: '.$pbudget."\r\n";$message.='TIME FRAME: '.$timeframe."\r\n";$message.='BEST TIME TO CALL: '.$besttime."\r\n";$message.='PROJECT TYPE: '.$project_type."\r\n";$message.='KEEP IN THE LOOP: '.$loop."\r\n";$message.="----------END OF FORM----------\r\n\r\n";

I am trying to get do the same thing in ASP, here is what I have so far

<%dim xfirstdim xlastdim xcitydim xstatedim xzipdim xhphonedim xmphonedim xpbudgetdim xtimeframedim xbesttimedim xpooltypedim xloopxfirst = request.querystring("first")xlast = request.querystring("last")xcity = request.querystring("city")xstate = request.querystring("state")xzip = request.querystring("zip")xhphone = request.querystring("hphone")xmphone = request.querystring("mphone")xpbudget = request.querystring("pbudget")xtimeframe = request.querystring("timeframe")xbesttime = request.querystring("besttime")xpooltype = request.querystring("pooltype")xloop = request.querystring("loop")dim sendtosendto = "csr@iPoolQuotes.com"'Sends an emaildim mailset mail = Server.CreateObject("CDO.Message")mail.To = Request.Form("To")mail.From = Request.Form("From")mail.Subject = Request.Form("Subject")mail.TextBody = Request.Form("Body")mail.Send()Response.Write("Mail Sent!")'Destroy the mail object!set mail = nothing%>

(i just copy and pasted the mail.object part in there as you could probably guess..) i think I am pretty close to getting this thing working... need a little bit of advice, i just noticed they are catching the variables with request.form ....which i have not seen before, i thought i had to request.querystring() into variables .. some help neededA

Here is where I am at... it seems like it should work, the variables are "echoing" out onto the page...

<%Dim xfirst, xlast, xcity, xstate, xzip, xhphone, xmphone, xpbudget, xtimeframe, xbesttime, xpooltype, xloopxfirst = request.form("first")xlast = request.form("last")xcity = request.form("city")xstate = request.form("state")xzip = request.form("zip")xhphone = request.form("hphone")xmphone = request.form("mphone")xpbudget = request.form("pbudget")xtimeframe = request.form("timeframe")xbesttime = request.form("besttime")xpooltype = request.form("pooltype")xloop = request.form("loop")if (xloop = 1) thenxloop = "keep me in the loop"else xloop = "Don't keep me the loop"end ifzfirst = "First name: " & xfirst & "<br>"zlast = "Last name:" & xlast & "<br>"zcity = "City: " &xcity & "<br>"zstate = "State: " & xstate & "<br>"zzip = "Zip: " & xzip & "<br>"zhphone = "Home Phone: " & xhphone & "<br>"zmphone = "Mobil Phone: " & xmphone & "<br>"zpbudget = "Project Budget " & xpbudget & "<br>"ztimeframe = "Time Frame: " & xtimeframe & "<br>"zbesttime = "Best Time: " & xbesttime & "<br>"zpooltype = "Pool Type: " & xpooltype & "<br>"zloop = "Keep In Loop?: " & xloop & "<br>"Dim inqr, sendto, fromus, subjectsendto = "aron@localhost"fromus = "www.ipoolquotes.com"subject = "index form message"inqr = zfirst & zlast & zcity & zstate & zzip & zhphone & zmphone & zpbudget & ztimeframe & zbesttime & zpooltype & zloopresponse.write(inqr)Dim mailSet mail = Server.CreateObject("CDO.Message")mail.To = sendtomail.From = fromusmail.Subject = subjectmail.TextBody = inqrmail.Send()Response.Write("Mail Sent!")Set mail = nothing%>

but the mail will not send, I use the argosoft offline mail server to test the php mail functions... they work but this one gives me this error:CDO.Message.1 error '80040220'The "SendUsing" configuration value is invalid./aaroniis/indexmail.asp, line 53 Set mail = Server.CreateObject("CDO.Message")this line is confusing me.. i read that the CDO. is a built in mail object of ASP..but they did not explain Message, is it a variable i am suposed to be using? where did it come from.. whats it mean?

just found someone posting about the same error and they said this works:<%Set cdoConfig = CreateObject("CDO.Configuration")With cdoConfig.Fields.Item(cdoSendUsingMethod) = cdoSendUsingPort.Item(cdoSMTPServer) = ""<enter_mail.server_here>"".UpdateEnd WithSet cdoMessage = CreateObject("CDO.Message")With cdoMessageSet .Configuration = cdoConfig.From = "from@me.com".To = "aaron@localhost".Subject = "Sample CDO Messag".TextBody = "This is a test for CDO.message".SendEnd WithSet cdoMessage = NothingSet cdoConfig = Nothing%>i dont know what to put as my mail server, I tried localhost and 127.1.0.0 the mail server is running.. argosoft

If it's installed on your local machine then localhost should work. There are 2 quotes before and after the server name, make sure there is only one quote on either side.Also, if you're just starting out with ASP, do yourself a favor and use Javascript instead of VBscript. You will find fewer examples that use Javascript, but it is much more powerful and easy to use vs. VBscript.

ASP isn't a language, it's more of a framework. You can write it with other languages. The code you have above is written in VBscript. Here's the same thing in java script:

<%@LANGUAGE = "Javascript" %><%var cdoConfig = Server.CreateObject("CDO.Configuration");cdoConfig.Fields.Item(cdoSendUsingMethod) = cdoSendUsingPort;cdoConfig.Fields.Item(cdoSMTPServer) = "server";cdoConfig.Fields.Update();var cdoMessage = Server.CreateObject("CDO.Message");cdoMessage.Configuration = cdoConfig;cdoMessage.From = "from@me.com";cdoMessage.To = "aaron@localhost";cdoMessage.Subject = "Sample CDO Messag";cdoMessage.TextBody = "This is a test for CDO.message";cdoMessage.Send();%>

If you're not confused yet, try this: you can write an ASP.NET application using PHP as the language.You've got to be kidding mehttp://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/.NET_Languages

Archived