Installation under Vista

kurt.santo

Installed MySQL under Windows Vista and did not turn user account control off. When I found out that I made a msitake, I turned it off, restarted laptop and run again the Windows Essentials Installer (first I used repair and then I removed program and re-installed). Again, at the end I left the tick to run the Configuration Wizard, but nothing happened. I cannot open the MySQL command prompt and when I try to open the configuration wizard it says that its side by side configuration is incorrect and I should refer to error log. Where is that?When I installed MySQL under XP there was no problem at all, hope it does not turn into a nightmare that I finally managed to buy my own laptop (which has Windows Vista pre-installed).Kurt

So is your question where is the error log for MySQL? I would imagine it would be in one of the MySQL folders, I'm not sure where though (probably the root). Or, it might be in the root of the drive as something like c:\mysql.log or the Windows folder or something. The MySQL documentation should be able to tell you. Windows also has an error log called the Event Viewer that you should be able to find somewhere in the control panel in Administrative Tools.

So is your question where is the error log for MySQL? I would imagine it would be in one of the MySQL folders, I'm not sure where though (probably the root). Or, it might be in the root of the drive as something like c:\mysql.log or the Windows folder or something. The MySQL documentation should be able to tell you. Windows also has an error log called the Event Viewer that you should be able to find somewhere in the control panel in Administrative Tools.
Thats the thing were I get stuck. In the documentation it says "Beginning with MySQL 4.0.10, you can specify where mysqld writes the error log with the --log-error[=file_name] option. If no file_name value is given, mysqld uses the name host_name.err by default and writes the file in the data directory. (Prior to MySQL 4.0.10, the Windows error log name is mysql.err.) "I have not specified a file name, so there should be a file host_name.err in the data directory of mysql. It is not. I just find two folders, one being mysql and the other test. I would assume that something must have gone wrong with whole installation. What do you think?Kurt

Search the computer for .err files.
You made my day! Found all info I needed and could sort out my problem. Apache runs now with PHP (yes, yes, yes). Now I only need to sort out the MySQL installation before I finally install phpMyAdmin with everything back to normal... Holy cow, it takes ages to set up a computer with everything you need (at least under Vista;-)).Thanks,Kurt

Archived