Honestly, what do I really need?

shadowayex

I have a highly working knowledge of (X)HTML and CSS, and I can use JavaScript and PHP up to an intermediate level (I've experienced and experimented with both in little projects I needed to tackle and I've used PHP to create/manage a user database). I have really no idea what to expand to because I've kind of run out of projects. I wanted to learn Flash and ActionScript to make a Flash based game, but due to lack of help and money, I quit. I figured I probably honestly wouldn't need it until I go to college and then I'll take a class. I need a new project, real world project, to tackle and some tips of what to use do tackle them. Any ideas?

Make a forum system! To create a good one you will need to combine all your skills.

Create and open source content management system. Create your model off of small local businesses like law offices or cpa/accountant/tax offices. Something that is versatile enough to allow a variety of page layouts (predefined) and easy to create sections like about us, faq, photo gallery, etc. Build it so that one running copy is smart enough to host multiple domains. In other words, you have a table that maps the domain name to a unique identifier that your content is related to. Then, set it up on a host that allows at least 25 domain name pointers. Therefore, you have one content management system that hosts 25 clients. Then, while you are in school, sell this to your local mom and pop shops to give you some beer money - or car money if you do it right. All you need to promise is timely support for the next 4 years. If your clients are doing things right, then their business will have out grown your system just in time for graduation.In short, one system for 20+ clients that you manage during your college career who end up being your first establish clients should you decided to open your own business.If you build this right, it will be more work billing and collecting money than managing the actual application.There are plenty of small shops that just can't afford a decent site. This is a great opportunity to add a stable and proven application to your portfolio and get your professional career off to a good start - in front of all your other college grads for sure.$500 set up fee and $35 a month hosting fee. Get ten businesses and you're looking at $5000 in the bank and $350 a month coming in. Thats any late 1990's BMW paid for in cash with plenty of cash for gas and insurance each month.

Archived