Authentication setting in php.ini

kurt.santo

I entered my SMPT server address in php.ini to use PHP's mail functions. The browser complains that "SMTP server response: 550 Please turn authentication on". Which line is php.ini is the relevant (or in httpd - I couldn't find it in there neither)? Kurt

That's a setting you must do on your SMTP server. What is your SMTP server? Is it running? Is the account set up correctly? Is it running on the same machine?In any case, somewhere in it, you need to adjust something in order to enable authentication.

That's a setting you must do on your SMTP server. What is your SMTP server? Is it running? Is the account set up correctly? Is it running on the same machine?In any case, somewhere in it, you need to adjust something in order to enable authentication.
It is the smpt server of my hosting company, so not on my machine. What would I have to do for that?Kurt

I get a different error, I get a relaying error. Are you sure that SMTP server is set up to allow this type of thing?
Is this not a standard thing to do? I got the bits and pieces from a book and assumed that should be fine. How do you find out and what would be the alternative? I have seen so many site, that work in this way (sending out activation codes per email etc). How do they do that? KurtEdit: Actually, one more question in same context. Just got myself a bit into trouble. I should have used a dedicated email testing account in first place (which is ready for me to use). Should I have also used domain mail server as opposed to the one of the hosing company? The hosting company offers both alternatives for sending out messages, but they actually prefer us to use our own to keep server load down. Would that change the matter?

Is this not a standard thing to do? I got the bits and pieces from a book and assumed that should be fine. How do you find out and what would be the alternative? I have seen so many site, that work in this way (sending out activation codes per email etc). How do they do that? KurtEdit: Actually, one more question in same context. Just got myself a bit into trouble. I should have used a dedicated email testing account in first place (which is ready for me to use). Should I have also used domain mail server as opposed to the one of the hosing company? The hosting company offers both alternatives for sending out messages, but they actually prefer us to use our own to keep server load down. Would that change the matter?
Will send you a pm with info I got from hosting company

Archived