Back button

vj5

I have two web pages called update.php and show.php. If i want to go from update.php, update the field in the database, want to sent the user back to update.php. Like wise, do the same for show.php. Both files have one update file called notes.php in which the update is taking place. How will I sent users back to two different pages from one back button(which is in notes.php)?

If i want to go from update.php, update the field in the database, want to sent the user back to update.php.
The normal thing would be to have the form printed by update.php point to update.php itself. A data parsing function at the top of update.php would check for some post value, and if it exists, do the updating right there. Then control would fall through to whatever update.php is already written to do.Spreading the functions out over many files is fine. You don't always need them, so why load them? And some routines can be used by many documents. That's what include statements are for.So I guess, if this is how you want things, you could include notes.php, or some version of it, and call its updating functions from update.php AND show.php.I confess I wasn't 100% clear what your post meant, so I apologize if my answer isn't relevant.

You can use the $_SERVER['HTTP_REFERER'] to get the previous page, then send a location header. E.g.

header("location:{$_SERVER['HTTP_REFERER']}");

You can use the $_SERVER['HTTP_REFERER'] to get the previous page, then send a location header. E.g.
header("location:{$_SERVER['HTTP_REFERER']}");

Is there a way to do with $HTTP_GET_VARS and get the captured variable and pass into a url to go back to the same page from where it started?

Well you could have a hidden field in your form that specifies what that page's URL is. E.gin updates.php have

<input type="hidden" name="url" value="updates.php" />

in show.php have

<input type="hidden" name="url" value="show.php" />

and in notes.php (assuming your forms' methods are GET)

header("location:{$_GET['url']}");

By the way, $HTTP_GET_VARS is old with PHP 3, you should use $_GET.

Well you could have a hidden field in your form that specifies what that page's URL is. E.gin updates.php have
<input type="hidden" name="url" value="updates.php" />

in show.php have

<input type="hidden" name="url" value="show.php" />

and in notes.php (assuming your forms' methods are GET)

header("location:{$_GET['url']}");

By the way, $HTTP_GET_VARS is old with PHP 3, you should use $_GET.

Thank you, I was looking something like the one you have specified but how will I link this the back button?

Oh - well then instead of a header you would output the URL into a link (in notes.php)

<a href="<?php echo $_GET['url']; ?>">Go back</a>

Oh - well then instead of a header you would output the URL into a link (in notes.php)
<a href="<?php echo $_GET['url']; ?>">Go back</a>

Thank you. This is what I was looking for. I have one doubt:Can I have the value for the input like this:
<input type="hidden" name="url" value="update.php?claimid=$cid&loc=update">

Mean, kv79 :)

Can I have the value for the input like this:
Yes, but you just need to get PHP to parse the $cid variable. Also, that way don't forget to append .php onto loc
<input type="hidden" name="url" value="update.php?claimid=<?php echo $cid; ?>&loc=update">

Mean, kv79 :)Yes, but you just need to get PHP to parse the $cid variable. Also, that way don't forget to append .php onto loc
<input type="hidden" name="url" value="update.php?claimid=<?php echo $cid; ?>&loc=update">

Thank you for your help.

Archived