is the validator right?

web-service-learner

Hey guys, hope you all doing good!what do you think, is the validator always right? 1 error >>> Line 70, Column 3: document type does not allow element "UL" here; assuming missing "LI" start-tag.<ul>. if i put a <li> before <ul> then the last link (Contact us ) won't pop down.i like to hear your opinion about this pls, i don't think the validator's right this time :) the link here >. http://www.adam.unpointless.com/ thanks alot to every 1.

<li><a href="#">CONTACT US<!--[if IE 7]><!--></a><!--<![endif]--><!--[if lte IE 6]><![endif]--></li><ul><li><a title="SEND AN INQUIRIES EMAIL" href="#">SEND US AN EMAIL</a></li><li><a title="CONTACT US BY A FORM" href="#">CONTACT US</a></li><li><a title="WHO WE ARE" href="#">ABOUT US</a></li><li><a title="OUR NEWS" href="#">OUR NEWS</a></li></ul><!--[if lte IE 6]><![endif]--></li>

You closed the <li> tag before opening the <ul> tag. That puts the <ul> tag directly under another <ul> tag, which is not permitted.

Hey Ingolme, thanks for your help mate!please have a look the validator gave me a good valid doc now, but the funny thing if you look at the sourc of the doc doesn't seem right, plus the last link doesn't pop down now, i meen its good and valid now but the last link's not poping down.thanks again man.

Are you designing your site with Internet Explorer? Because firefox shows the site quite differently.I recommend you do the following rather than what you have now.

<li><a href="#">CONTACT US<!--[if IE 7]><!--></a><!--<![endif]--><!--[if lte IE 6]><![endif]--><ul><li><a title="SEND AN INQUIRIES EMAIL" href="#">SEND US AN EMAIL</a></li><li><a title="CONTACT US BY A FORM" href="#">CONTACT US</a></li><li><a title="WHO WE ARE" href="#">ABOUT US</a></li><li><a title="OUR NEWS" href="#">OUR NEWS</a></li></ul><!--[if lte IE 6]><![endif]--></li>

Well, firstly, I'd recommend changing all the UPPERCASE CSS properties to lowercase, because I think they might be preventing the "list-style-type: none" property from working correctly in Firefox. I've been trying to test your CSS in the validator but the validator isn't loading for me now.Here's the CSS validator. I recommend you test your stylesheet there: http://jigsaw.w3.org/css-validator/EDIT: Oh, I found the mistake:You forgot a . before the word "menu".menu UL { PADDING-RIGHT: 0px; PADDING-LEFT: 0px; PADDING-BOTTOM: 0px; MARGIN: 0px; PADDING-TOP: 0px; LIST-STYLE-TYPE: none}

Hey Ingolme, and all!i've done what you said changed them all to lowercase and i put the a. menu ul plus your exact code.works fine on ie7 still the same problem with ff and 35 errors on the css doc. any solutions, thanks again for your help.
I didn't say to put "a.menu" I meant to say put a dot before "menu".The CSS validator gives you a list of errors, not just to bug you, but so that you know what to fix. Maybe you should read them and see.I'll fix up your CSS so that it validates. Once your CSS validates then you can start worrying about making it look right on all browsers.Here it is:
body {font-family:arial, san-serif;background-color:#0A8BB5;}#large {position:absolute;top:0px; left:57px;background-color:white;width:900px; height:1170px;border:solid 1px white;z-index: 5;}#mainmenu {position:absolute;top:112px; left:0px;height:30px; width:895px;z-index: 1;padding:0 0 0 5px;background-color:#0A8BB5;}.menu ul {padding 0px;margin: 0px;list-style-type:none;}.menu li {z-index:100;float:left;position: relative;}.menu table {z-index:80;left:-1px;position:absolute;top:25px;border-collapse: collapse;}.menu a {padding-right: 0px;display: block;padding-left: 0px;font-size: 11px;background-color:#0a8bb5;padding-right:7px;width:149px;color:#e9f0f4;margin-right:1px;padding-top:7px;text-align:center;font-weight:bold;text-decoration:none;}.menu :visited {padding-right: 0px;display: block;padding-left: 0px;font-size: 11px;background-color: #0A8BB5;padding-bottom: 7px;width: 149px;color: #E9F0F4;margin-right: 1px;padding-top: 7px;text-align: center;text-decoration: none}.menu :hover {background: #1075B1;color: #FCFCFC;}.menu ul ul {visibility:hidden;width: 149px;position: absolute;height: 0px;}.menu ul li:hover ul {visibility: visible}.menu ul a:hover ul {visibility: visible}span.whiteheader {color:white; background-color:blue; padding:5px; font-size:16px;}span.bigbluehr {color:#0C58AD; font-size:22px;}#indexbanner {position:absolute;border-style:solid;border-width:0px;top:1px; left:0px;width:898px; height:100px;background-color:#CDE8F9;padding:2px;}#indexbannerright {position:absolute;border-style:solid;border-width:0px;top:60px; left:535px;width:320px; height:40px;padding:5px;}#indextoppan {position:absolute;border: solid 1px #E9F1F4;top:162px; left:30px;width:830px; height:140px;padding:2px;}#indextoppanright {position:absolute;border:0;top:162px; left:615px;width:240px; height: 140px;padding:2px;}#indexunderpan {position:relative;border:solid 1px #E9F1F4;top:310px; left:30px;width:830px; height:90px;padding:2px;}#indexplans {position:absolute;border: solid 1px #0A8BB5;top:415px; left:30px;width:830px; height:190px;background-color:#E6EFF9;padding:5px;}#underplans {position:absolute;border:solid 1px #EAF0F8;top:655px; left:30px;width:830px; height:190px;background-color:white;padding:5px;}#itpricesindex {position:absolute;border-style: solid;border-width:1px;top:250px; left:140px;width:520px; height:300px;padding:5px;}#ithdprices {position:absolute;border-style:solid;border-width:1px;top:600px; left:140px;width:520px; height:320px;padding:5px;}#itmonprices {position:absolute;border-style:solid;border-width:1px;top:950px; left:140px;width:520px; height:450px;padding:5px;}#hostplans {position:absolute;border-style:solid;border-width:1px;top:250px; left:140px;width:520px; height:300px;padding:5px;}#hostbudget {position:absolute;border-style:solid;border-width:1px;top:800px; left:140px;width:520px; height:300px;padding:5px;}

yes Ingolme, i did validate good now with non errors, thanks alot for that!one more problem with html doc it doesn't validate well, plus if you hover your mouse over the first link on the right (HOME) you can see clearly the menu is not straight. you did alot for me so one more won't hurt lol.thanks mate

At the moment I can't see what's deforming your home menu at the moment, but you have two errors to solve:

<li><a href="#">CONTACT US<!--[if IE 7]><!--></a><!--<![endif]--><!--[if lte IE 6]><![endif]--></li><!-- THE PREVIOUS </li> TAG DOES NOT BELONG HERE --><ul><li><a title="SEND AN INQUIRIES EMAIL" href="#">SEND US AN EMAIL</a></li><li><a title="CONTACT US BY A FORM" href="#">CONTACT US</a></li><li><a title="WHO WE ARE" href="#">ABOUT US</a></li><li><a title="OUR NEWS" href="#">OUR NEWS</a></li></ul><!-- PUT THAT </li> TAG HERE -->

<!--[if lte IE 6]><![endif]--></li><!-- MISSING </ul> TAG RIGHT HERE --></div></div></body></html>

Postscript; the validator is never wrong. If there is an incorrect error, its because the document's DTD is badly written.

Archived