varchar date problem

vj5

I have a date field which is in varchar character. I want to do sorting as below:Right now, it displays:12/2007 12/2006 11/2007 11/2006 10/2007 10/2006 I want sort this order to:12/200611/200610/200612/2007 and so on.I am trying to work this out but is not working as expected:here is my code:$B = array(); foreach ($docs as $asofstart){ list($m,$y) = split($docs,"/"); array_push($B,"$y:$m"); }This is my first part. I am trying to echo $B, it gives me ARRAY as result. Please tell what is wrong and how I should do it.

1. to "echo" an array, use print_r($array);2. to do custom sorting, use usort($array, $function);The callback function will be passed two array values at a time, so it's job is to evaluate them. That's where you'd do your splitting and so on. Read about it here: http://us2.php.net/usort
Thanks, I have another problem. When I enter the date, I can enter in such a way : 04/2007, only this works. But I want to try entering 4/2007,4/2007,04/07,042007 in different formats, how will i do it. can someone please help.

I don't even know what you're asking with that last question, you can store anything you want in a varchar field. If you want to try entering different values, then dust off your keyboard and do it. But if you're storing a date, use a date field. Then it will at least sort correctly.

Archived