Parent & Child Pages

musicradiolive

Hi All,I need some help with Parent & Child data.Basically, all my pages are stored in a database. The website contains sections and then in each section is the pages for that part of the site.The database is laid out like this:ID - The page ID NumberPName - The Page NamePCon - The Page ContentPType - Page Type (EITHER PARENT/CHILD)PParent - Parent of the page (If child).If the page is a parent then i just set the PParent to 0000.I want to display all the pages within the site as a table, in the layout of:

<table width="100%" border="0"><tr><td>ID</td><td>Name</td></tr>---IF THE PAGE IS A PARENT IT THEN DISPLAYS:<tr><td><% =rs("ID") %></td><td><% =rs("PName") %></td></tr>---THEN IT MOVES ON TO DISPLAY THE NEXT PARENT.---HOWEVER, IF THERE IS A CHILD THAT BELONG TO THE PARENT (Found by ID, so if PParent = The ID of the parent pageit belongs to it)So then it will show:The parent as above then:<table width="100%><tr><td> </td><td><% = rs("id") %></td><td><% =rs("PName") %></td></tr></table>---THEN IT WILL CARRY ON.

Thanks in advance for any help on this.Jon

You need to use a recursive function that will print a page and whatever children are under it, and children of those children, etc. Hopefully you're using Javascript for this.

function print_page(id){  var rs = Server.CreateObject("ADODB.RecordSet");  rs.ActiveConnection = your_dbcon_string;  rs.Open("SELECT * FROM table WHERE id=" + id);  if (rs.fields.item("PParent").value == 0)  {	Response.Write("<tr>");	Response.Write("<td>" + rs.fields.item("ID").value + "</td>");	Response.Write("<td>" + rs.fields.item("PName").value + "</td>");	Response.Write("</tr>");  }  else  {	Response.Write("<table width=\"100%\">");	Response.Write("<tr>");	Response.Write("<td> </td>");	Response.Write("<td>" + rs.fields.item("ID").value + "</td>");	Response.Write("<td>" + rs.fields.item("PName").value + "</td>");	Response.Write("</tr>");	Response.Write("</table>");  }  rs.Close();  rs.Open("SELECT ID FROM table WHERE PParent=" + id);  while (!rs.eof)  {	print_page(rs.fields.item("ID").value);	rs.MoveNext();  }  rs.Close();}

Archived