How to disable the Windows firewall using the command shell...

anggwaponi

(1) netsh -r commander <enter>(2) it now shows this line,[commander] netsh>but before to that, their is a line that says, " ... WARNING: Could not obtain host is may not be available.The RPC server is unavailable ... ".what's this statement suppose to mean then ... any significant or effect perhaps to the commands i'm going to issue?(3) i now tried to issue the command, netsh firewall set opmode mode = disable <enter>but here what the result says, " ... The following command was not found: netsh firewall set opmode mode = disable ... ".(4) what was wrong with the command i issue?hoping to be enlighten.thanks

Why the "-r" command? Are you trying to "hack" someone? If so (huh...), you'll need to know (and have access to) their IP adress or domain name. The other machine will also have to explicitly allow you to adjust its firewall. How exactly does that happen, I don't know, but I believe its disabled by default for obvious security reasons.Drop the "-r" in your command, and all settings will be done on your computer.

Why the "-r" command? Are you trying to "hack" someone? If so (huh...), you'll need to know (and have access to) their IP adress or domain name. The other machine will also have to explicitly allow you to adjust its firewall. How exactly does that happen, I don't know, but I believe its disabled by default for obvious security reasons.Drop the "-r" in your command, and all settings will be done on your computer
hello and a pleasant day as well :mellow: .i'm not a hacker and i don't have any intentions to hack. however, i just want to learn this aspect ... at least for my understanding.and suppose if ever we belong to the same domain and i know that IP address so what will be the synthax?for eg.: this is the info between the 2-pc(my pc) :) C:\>ipconfigWindows IP ConfigurationEthernet adapter Local Area Connection: Connection-specific DNS Suffix . : ASPECT.local IP Address. . . . . . . . . . . . : 10.48.10.145 Subnet Mask . . . . . . . . . . . : 255.255.255.0 Default Gateway . . . . . . . . . : 10.48.10.254(another pc) :) C:\>ipconfigWindows IP ConfigurationEthernet adapter Local Area Connection: Connection-specific DNS Suffix . : ASPECT.local IP Address. . . . . . . . . . . . : 10.48.10.110 Subnet Mask . . . . . . . . . . . : 255.255.255.0 Default Gateway . . . . . . . . . : 10.48.10.254

I believe it will be something like

netsh -r 10.48.10.110 firewall set opmode mode = disable

but again, only if the other machine has enabled remote access to its firewall settings. Otherwise, you'll likely get some other error.

I believe it will be something like
netsh -r 10.48.10.110 firewall set opmode mode = disable

but again, only if the other machine has enabled remote access to its firewall settings. Otherwise, you'll likely get some other error

hello boen_robot and nice day too :) i've issued the said command u stated (from my PC command prompt):netsh -r 10.48.10.110 firewall set opmode mode = disablebut i got this reply or the result shows the following:WARNING: Could not obtain host information from machine: [10.48.10.110]. Some commands may not be available.The RPC server is unavailable.The following command was not found: firewall set opmode mode = disable.so may i ask, what does RPC server serves for ... i mean what's the significant of it?so what i did, i tried connecting to the said PC ... 10.48.10.110, using the command:netsh -r 10.48.10.110then it shows the following result or it prompts me:[10.48.10.116] netsh>does it mean that when i got the said result, i'm already connected to the PC 10.48.10.110?i tried to put a question mark (?) after the greater than (>) sign but it has only these command option available:[10.48.10.116] netsh>?The following commands are available:Commands in this context:.. - Goes up one context level.? - Displays a list of commands.abort - Discards changes made while in offline mode.add - Adds a configuration entry to a list of entries.alias - Adds an alias.bridge - Changes to the `netsh bridge' context.bye - Exits the program.commit - Commits changes made while in offline mode.delete - Deletes a configuration entry from a list of entries.diag - Changes to the `netsh diag' context.dump - Displays a configuration script.exec - Runs a script file.exit - Exits the program.help - Displays a list of commands.interface - Changes to the `netsh interface' context.offline - Sets the current mode to offline.online - Sets the current mode to online.popd - Pops a context from the stack.pushd - Pushes current context on stack.quit - Exits the program.ras - Changes to the `netsh ras' context.routing - Changes to the `netsh routing' context.set - Updates configuration settings.show - Displays information.unalias - Deletes an alias.winsock - Changes to the `netsh winsock' context.The following sub-contexts are available: bridge diag interface ras routing winsockTo view help for a command, type the command, followed by a space, and then type ?.[10.48.10.116] netsh>much different if i'm in my own command prompt which shows the following:C:\>netshnetsh>?The following commands are available:Commands in this context:.. - Goes up one context level.? - Displays a list of commands.abort - Discards changes made while in offline mode.add - Adds a configuration entry to a list of entries.alias - Adds an alias.bridge - Changes to the `netsh bridge' context.bye - Exits the program.commit - Commits changes made while in offline mode.delete - Deletes a configuration entry from a list of entries.diag - Changes to the `netsh diag' context.dump - Displays a configuration script.exec - Runs a script file.exit - Exits the program.firewall - Changes to the `netsh firewall' context.help - Displays a list of commands.interface - Changes to the `netsh interface' context.offline - Sets the current mode to offline.online - Sets the current mode to online.popd - Pops a context from the stack.pushd - Pushes current context on stack.quit - Exits the program.ras - Changes to the `netsh ras' context.routing - Changes to the `netsh routing' context.set - Updates configuration settings.show - Displays information.unalias - Deletes an alias.winsock - Changes to the `netsh winsock' context.The following sub-contexts are available: bridge diag firewall interface ras routing winsockTo view help for a command, type the command, followed by a space, and then type ?.netsh>actually, what i'm trying to emphasized is i can issued the command firewall after netsh since its an available option in my command prompt.any command that is equivalent as firewall if its in the remote PC 10.48.10.110? i'm really wonderin' why is it different considering that both command prompt are inside netsh though in diifferent [mine (my own PC) and the remote PC (10.48.10.110)].hoping to be enlighted upon :)

10.48.10.110 or 10.48.10.116? You seem to be a little inconsistent in your examples.Anyway, the RPC server is the thing you need to enable on the other machine if you are to control it remotely. This is what I previously meant. I just didn't knew it was called an RPC server.Somewhere on the other machine lies a disabled "RPC" setting you need to enable. Ideally, at that place there should also be a whitelist of IPs that are allowed to issue RPC calls. Whitelist your PC's IP (10.48.10.145) in that list. Again, I have absolutely no idea where this list is. You'll have to research that one yourself (with Google and the like).

10.48.10.110 or 10.48.10.116? You seem to be a little inconsistent in your examples.Anyway, the RPC server is the thing you need to enable on the other machine if you are to control it remotely. This is what I previously meant. I just didn't knew it was called an RPC server.Somewhere on the other machine lies a disabled "RPC" setting you need to enable. Ideally, at that place there should also be a whitelist of IPs that are allowed to issue RPC calls. Whitelist your PC's IP (10.48.10.145) in that list. Again, I have absolutely no idea where this list is. You'll have to research that one yourself (with Google and the like)
hi boen_robot,sorry for the wrong entry ... its only a typographical error, its definitely 10.48.10.110.so now it looks like the RPC Server has the big say in here. hmmmmmmmmm ...perhaps i'll just make another new topic regarding RPC Server.any way, thanks really boen_robot and the other contributors of my inquiries for the prompt answer.cheers!

Archived