Rating, php order

djp1988

Hello, I have a user rating system, looks like this:Checks for and entries already in the DB, if there are none:Picture-3.jpgAfter you vote, you see this:Picture-2.jpgAnd then when you come back onto the page you see this:Picture-5.jpgbut I want the first message to disappear and the finalized message to come up just after voting.Here is my script :

<?php echo'<div id="Menu"> ';require_once ('../mysql_connect.php');$query = "SELECT COUNT(comment_id) AS commentsFROM comment_tripsWHERE id_of_trip=$idofthistrip";$result = mysql_query ($query, $dbc);$row = mysql_fetch_array ($result, MYSQL_BOTH);$totalcomments = "{$row['comments']}";echo '<p style="margin-top:0px;"><a href="#comment">Comments (' . $totalcomments . ')</a></p>';$query = "SELECT COUNT(member_id) AS whovotedFROM note_tripsWHERE trip_id = $idofthistrip";$result = mysql_query ($query, $dbc);$row = mysql_fetch_array ($result, MYSQL_BOTH);$totalvotes = "{$row['whovoted']}";if($totalvotes == 1){	$grammar = ' member has ';	}else{	$grammar = ' members have ';	}$query = "SELECT ROUND(AVG(note),1) AS AVFROM note_tripsWHERE trip_id=$idofthistrip";$result = mysql_query ($query, $dbc);$row = mysql_fetch_array ($result, MYSQL_BOTH);$note = "{$row['AV']}";if(!$note){echo "This report has not yet been evaluated, be the first !<br />";}else{echo 'Report quality: <b>' . $note . '/5</b> <small><br />(' . $totalvotes . $grammar . 'voted)</small><br />';}$userid = $_SESSION['user_id'];$note = (int) $_GET['n'];$query = "SELECT member_id, trip_id, noteFROM note_tripsWHERE member_id = $userid AND trip_id = $idofthistrip";$result = mysql_query ($query, $dbc);$row = mysql_fetch_array ($result, MYSQL_BOTH);if(!$row && $note){ 		if ($note <6) {			$query = "INSERT INTO note_trips(note_id,trip_id,member_id,note) VALUES('',$idofthistrip,$userid,$note)";			$result = @mysql_query ($query);			$row = true;			$note = true;			echo '<small>Thank you for voting (average will be recalculated on next page load)</small>';			}		}if($row){ 	echo "<small>You have already voted, you gave this report {$row['note']}/5</small>";	}else{	echo "<form action=\"$thispage\" method=\"get\" id=\"note\"  >	<select name=\"note\" onchange=\"MM_jumpMenu('parent',this,0)\">	<option value=\"\">Rate this Report</option>\n";	$query = "SELECT id_note	FROM note_name	ORDER BY id_note ASC";	$result = mysql_query ($query, $dbc);	while ($row = mysql_fetch_array ($result, MYSQL_BOTH)) {	echo"<option name=\"note\" value=\"$thispage?n={$row['id_note']}\">{$row['id_note']}</option>\n";	}	echo '</select></form>';		}echo'</div>'; ?>

I guarantee you can reorganize the code so that you can do all processing before you output any HTML code. Use boolean variables to keep track of which conditions are true or false (e.g. that a row has been inserted).

Yay, okay I have recoded it a bit and re arranged the php, and it works fine, i even made my comments to insert before displaying them, if I'm honest when you said about outputting html i got confused, but I understand now, so before i query for the number of votes and calculate the average, i must have already inserted the one from the POST !!! thanks

Archived