Javascript detection

ranjithch

Hi ,I have a web application which will be running thru several browsers. How can i find out whether the javascipt is enabled or not?I have to alert the user, if their browser is not javascript enabled?Please have a look at this issue and request you to help me on this..Thanks in advance..

1) I don't think it does run with all old browsers2) depends on what version u are using ie 1.23) people can switch it offsolution: use the noscript tag to display a message to people not seeing javascript<body><script type="text/javascript"><!--document.write("Hello World!")//--></script><noscript>Your browser does not support JavaScript!</noscript></body>

Well scott,that is a nice answer. Thanks for that. I have already had an idea to use <noscript> tag and it serves the purpose. Thank you.Is there any way we can check the javascript enabling with navigator object or with some other object...

1) I don't think it does run with all old browsers2) depends on what version u are using ie 1.23) people can switch it offsolution: use the noscript tag to display a message to people not seeing javascript<body><script type="text/javascript"><!--document.write("Hello World!")//--></script><noscript>Your browser does not support JavaScript!</noscript></body>

All modern browser should support JavScript but remeber theuser can turn JavaScript off so it is a good idea to warn them before entering or going to deep into your site that they need JavaScript enabled to get the most out of your site. :)

Correct. Can anybody pls help me how to detect whether Javascript enabled or disabled in the browser? In Specific, If the browser turns off the javascript too?I just need to warn the user, if the javascript is disabled in his browser.... Pls help me with this issue.Thanks in advance...

All modern browser should support JavScript but remeber theuser can turn JavaScript off so it is a good idea to warn them before entering or going to deep into your site that they need JavaScript enabled to get the most out of your site. :)

Is there any way we can check the javascript enabling with navigator object or with some other object...

To check the Navigator Object you need a browser that supports JavaScript, so if a browser doesn't support JavaScript you can't access that object... In any case i've had a look at the properties of that object and none include turning JavaScript on in any way. :( Say for example i had turned off JavaScript for a reason, then visited your site and it's turned back on without my say so, i wouldn't be happy with you interfering with my settings :) Plain and simple if you want to notify a user that they don't have JavaScript enabled you have to use the <noscript> tag, that's what it's there for :)

To check the Navigator Object you need a browser that supports JavaScript, so if a browser doesn't support JavaScript you can't access that object...  In any case i've had a look at the properties of that object and none include turning JavaScript on in any way. :( Say for example i had turned off JavaScript for a reason, then visited your site and it's turned back on without my say so, i wouldn't be happy with you interfering with my settings :) Plain and simple if you want to notify a user that they don't have JavaScript enabled you have to use the <noscript> tag, that's what it's there for :)

Thanks scott. It is of a nice help provided. I will use that.