Limiting selection, but still giving choice.

Faracus

ok I want to limit how many that a person can select of a certian value.like all my most recent posts this concerns with creating a character sheet and with the first attribute they are able to spend 5 points second 4 points and third 3 points.I am thinking that I could use radio buttons for this, but i'm just a little confused how I could limit them while still letting them choose. If attribute one was selected as "power" thats a sub catagory for 3 actuall attributes and they can spend 5 points spred through the 3 points. which are named Intelligence, Strength and Presence and each starts with one dot automatically.

I've lost the track here.The actual form you'll be using is an HTML/JavaScript issue, but I'd advise you to make it so that in the end you get a POST array like

'spend5' => 1'spend3' => 2

The numbers should stand for the appropriate category and subcategory. For example

1. Power1.1. Intelligence1.2. Strength1.3. Presence
And as for the dot, your best bet is to put it once you validate the form, and all, right before putting it into the DB.

I have been thinking. I would have to use radio buttons and name them intelligence1 intelligence 2 intelligence 3 and so on, and then add them up in individually, then add up the group. maybe something like this.

$intelligence=$_POST[intel1]+$_POST[intel2]+$_POST[intel3]+$_POST[intel4]+$_POST[intel5]+$_POST[intel6]$wits=blahblahblah$resolve=blahblahblah$mental=$intelligence+$wits+$resolveif ($mental > "5")   echo "You have selected too many mental traits";

and so on and so forth, but would that work or would that count them all anyways even if the radio button was not checked, or would I have to change something to filter the selected radio buttons?

im not completely sure what you mean, but is it right that you have different attributes (Intelligence, Strength and Presence), and let them chose 1 to add 5 pts, 1 to add 4 and 1 to add 3?i think the best way would be to use either drow down menu's, and/or javascriptgive each of the 3 attributes a drop down where they can choose to add 3, 4 or 5and let javascript change what they can choose at the other attributeseven with the javascript you will of course still check the data server-based

here is an excerpt from the book. this might help

First, you must decide in which of these categories your character excels the most (primary).You then select the group of Attributes in which your character is average (secondary). Finally,the remaining category is designated as the character’s weakest area of natural talent(tertiary).....All characters begin with one dot in each Attribute, reflecting the basic capabilities of allhuman beings. The priorities established in the preceding paragraph determine how many dotsare allocated for each Attribute cluster. Five additional dots are added to the primary group,four additional dots to the secondary group and three dots to the tertiary group. For example,the scrawny intellectual mentioned previously would have five dots in his Mental category,four in his Social and three in his Physical category, while the tactless brute would have fi vedots in his Physical category, four in his Mental and only three in his Social category.The fifth dot in any Attribute costs two dots to purchase. So, a player who wants his characterto have a Dexterity of 5 needs to spend five dots. (He starts with one free dot, spendsthree more to achieve a score of 4, and then spends two more for the fifth dot.)
They are as follows Mental = Intelligence + Wits + Resolve Physical = Strength + Dexterity + Stamina Social = Presence + Manipulation + Composure

something like that could work, I would still have to add the numbers up to make sure that each section does not go over it's limit of assigned points. I'm going to give that a shot now.

Archived