Messaging system

shadowayex

I'm building a messaging system for a website. I think I have the basic concept down and whatnot. The code looks like it should work. It doesn't. My whole page looks like this:messages.php:

<?php session_start();$link = mysql_connect('host', 'user', 'password')    or die('Could not connect: ' . mysql_error());mysql_select_db('database') or die('Could not select database');$user=$_SESSION['user'];if(mode==sendmsg){$to=mysql_real_escape_string($_POST['to']);$subject=mysql_real_escape_string($_POST['subject']);$message=mysql_real_escape_string($_POST['message']);$id=mysql_query("SELECT * FROM messages");$id=mysql_num_rows($id)+1;$check=mysql_query("SELECT Username FROM players WHERE Username='$to'"); if(mysql_num_rows($check)==1) {  $sql = mysql_query("INSERT INTO messages (Id, To, From, Subject, Message) VALUES ('$id', '$to', '$user', '$subject', '$message')"); if (!mysql_query($sql))   {   die('Error: ' . mysql_error());   }  else   {   header('location: messages.php?mode=inbox');   } } else {  echo "User does not exist. Try again.";  echo "<form action='messages.php?mode=sendmsg' method='post'>";  echo "<div>";  echo "To: <input type='text' name='to' value='' /><br />";  echo "Subject: <input type='text' name='subject' value='' /><br />";  echo "Message:<br />";  echo "<textarea rows='10' cols='50' name='message'></textarea><br />";  echo "<input type='submit' name='submit' value='Send' />"; }}mysql_close($link);?><html><head><title>Messages</title><style type="text/css">#menu1 a {color:black;background-color:white;text-decoration:none;text-indent:1ex;}#menu1 a:active {color:black;text-decoration:none;}#menu1 a:hover {color:black;background-color:#FFFF99}#menu1 a:visited {color:black;text-decoration:none;}</style><script src="mmenu.js" type="text/javascript"></script><script src="menuItems.js" type="text/javascript"></script></head><body><div>Welcome <?php echo $user; ?>!<br /><a href="home.php">Home</a> | <a href="messages.php?mode=newmsg">Send New Message</a> | <a href="messages.php?mode=viewinbox">Inbox</a> | <a href="messages.php?mode=viewsent">Outbox</a> | <a href="logout.php">Log Out</a></div><div><?php session_start();$link = mysql_connect('host', 'user', 'password')    or die('Could not connect: ' . mysql_error());mysql_select_db('database') or die('Could not select database');$user=$_SESSION['user'];$mode=$_GET['mode'];if($mode=="newmsg"){ echo "<form action='messaging.php?mode=sendmsg' method='post'>"; echo "<div>"; echo "To: <input type='text' name='to' value='' /><br />"; echo "Subject: <input type='text' name='subject' value='' /><br />"; echo "Message:<br />"; echo "<textarea rows='10' cols='50' name='message'></textarea><br />"; echo "<input type='submit' name='submit' value='Send' />"; echo "</div>"; echo "</form>";}elseif($mode=="viewinbox"){ $inbox=mysql_query("SELECT * FROM messages WHERE To='$user'"); echo "<table>"; while($row=mysql_fetch_array($inbox)) {  echo "<tr>";  echo "<td>" . $row['To'] . "</td>";  echo "<td><a href=messages?mode=viewmsg&id=" . $row['Id'] . ">" . $row['Subject'] . "</a></td>";  echo "</tr>"; } echo "</table>";}elseif($mode=="viewsent"){ $sent=mysql_query("SELECT * FROM messages WHERE From='$user'"); echo "<table>"; while($row=mysql_fetch_array($sent)) {  echo "<tr>";  echo "<td>" . $row['To'] . "</td>";  echo "<td><a href=messages?mode=viewmsg&id=" . $row['Id'] . ">" . $row['Subject'] . "</a></td>";  echo "</tr>"; } echo "</table>";}else{ $inbox=mysql_query("SELECT * FROM messages WHERE To='$user'"); echo "<table>"; while($row=mysql_fetch_array($inbox)) {  echo "<tr>";  echo "<td>" . $row['To'] . "</td>";  echo "<td><a href=messages?mode=viewmsg&id=" . $row['Id'] . ">" . $row['Subject'] . "</a></td>";  echo "</tr>"; } echo "</table>";}mysql_close($link);?></div></body></html>

There's many issues with this. Each part loads correctly, but the inbox and outbox querys give this error:Warning: mysql_fetch_array(): supplied argument is not a valid MySQL result resource in /home/www/testtools.freehostia.com/messages.phpAnd of course give the line number. Sure enough, it's the array line.Then sending a message doesn't work either. When you click send (I put a mysql_error() to see what the problem was) it says Error: Query was empty. I tried displaying the variables on the same page that displays that error and the variables all show, message and all. So I do not know what the problem there is either. Any ideas?

Warning: mysql_fetch_array(): supplied argument is not a valid MySQL result resource in /home/www/testtools.freehostia.com/messages.php on line 107Error: You have an error in your SQL syntax; check the manual that corresponds to your MySQL server version for the right syntax to use near 'To='shadowayex'' at line 1That's the error I get. shadowayex is the username I'm using to test, so it replaced the To='$user' into To='shadowayex'. But I don't see why it's not right. The line looks like:$inbox=mysql_query("SELECT * FROM messages WHERE To='$user'");Do you see anyting wrong?

Ok, I got that fixed. To and From couldn't be used, so I changed to Receiver and Sender. Did you read my problem with the sending form? If so, do you have any idea about that?

Archived