Text and bool column type

kurt.santo

Creating a new table I came across two questions:I know that you can use the text column type for storing images, but what is the difference to blob? I never really see that it is used. As you cannot limit the max characters (or so at least I think) I use varchar (300) for example. Then, in what context do you use a bool column? I have an active column, but just use char with a default of "n", which could be changed to "y"...It would be great if I understood the specifics:-)Kurt

The main difference between text and blob columns are that text columns store ASCII data and blob columns store binary data. You can't limit how much data goes into a text or blob column, but they do have maximums. TINYBLOB, TINYTEXT <= 255 bytesBLOB, TEXT <= 65,535 bytes MEDIUMBLOB, MEDIUMTEXT <= 16,777,215 bytesLONGBLOB, LONGTEXT <= 4,294,967,295 bytes

Then, in what context do you use a bool column?
Any time you need a column with only 2 choices (yes/no, true/false, on/off, etc).

The main difference between text and blob columns are that text columns store ASCII data and blob columns store binary data. You can't limit how much data goes into a text or blob column, but they do have maximums. TINYBLOB, TINYTEXT <= 255 bytesBLOB, TEXT <= 65,535 bytes MEDIUMBLOB, MEDIUMTEXT <= 16,777,215 bytesLONGBLOB, LONGTEXT <= 4,294,967,295 bytesAny time you need a column with only 2 choices (yes/no, true/false, on/off, etc).
Thanks for your reply...Kurt

Archived